From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Leadership Structure
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 16:38:18
1 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 >
3 > I don't think our current problem was caused by not having a "council
4 > leader". Also, current policy already states that 2 council members can
5 > make a decision on urgent matters that needs to be ratified by the full
6 > council at their next meeting.
7
8 Some of my suggestions were based on my perception of some of Gentoo's
9 longer-term issues. I'm not suggesting a solution merely to the current
10 GLEP 39 debate - but what might be part of a framework for a longer-term
11 direction for Gentoo.
12
13 Many have brought up the idea that Gentoo tends to be a bit rudder-less
14 - it can't take on bold initiatives that have any chance at all of being
15 disruptive. It also can't really speak with "one voice" about anything.
16 A lead role - even if it rotates - would at least give one person a
17 chance to make some kind of a mark upon the distro, but with checks and
18 balances.
21 > You're voicing the view that the Foundation should be nothing more than
22 > a holder for IP and assets. That is not what it was created for, nor
23 > should it be limited to that, imo. Also, you're changing the focus of
24 > the council as it was created as a technical body that would steer the
25 > technical advancement of the distro.
28 That is exactly what I'm advocating, but as long as both bodies
29 represent the same constituency the division isn't entirely critical.
30 However, as a legal body the trustees will never be able to act as
31 effectively as the council - just due to the level of formality. Since
32 we aren't a 10,000 employee corporation I don't know that we want so
33 much red tape in day-to-day operations.
34
35 > There are
36 > also plans to open membership to the foundation to accept members of the
37 > community, be them users, companies, sponsors, partners or any
38 > interested party.
39 > In that sense, the council would represent the developer "community",
40 > whilst the foundation would represent the "community" at large.
43 I do think that this is potentially a very bad idea (and I do stress the
44 word "potentially" - the devil is in the details). It has nothing to do
45 with any desire to exclude the "community" - to the contrary I've tried
46 to be vocal in general about the need to include users in more
47 activities, and I strongly support the whole user-rel concept.
48
49 My concern is that ultimately the devs need to implement any initiatives
50 that Gentoo takes, so they need to be completely on-board. If some
51 sponsor can essentially buy Foundation votes it could cause Gentoo to
52 take a direction that most devs object to - which will just lead to a
53 fork. It also lowers the barrier to Foundation membership a bit too
54 much. Right now to be a member you must commit to at least a moderate
55 amount of volunteer contribution, which weeds out people who are all
56 about talk with absolutely no action. If ANYBODY could sign up and vote
57 then you could have a lot of devs frustrated because the people in
58 charge really don't consider the devs their constituents.
59
60 I can't really think of any non-profit organization that operates in
61 this way. Just about all of them limit legal membership to those who
62 are heavily committed to the organization, and those who contribute
63 significantly financially (and I'm not talking $5 per year via paypal).
64
65 > | 3. Council will meet monthly, but any slacker policies will be at its
66 > | own discretion.
67 >
68 > I wasn't around the time the council was created, but from the mails
69 > those that were sent, it was a "conscious" choice and option from the
70 > developer community to set those in.
71
72 I'm not debating that here. I'm suggesting that the devs should make
73 another "conscious" choice to get rid of this policy in favor of another
74 system of accountability.
78 > If your purpose it to count only active devs for the number of sigs
79 > needed, you need a better method. You're leaving out (or run the chance
80 > of leaving out) all staff from that count. It might be better to
81 > subtract to the total number of devs, the total that shows up in the
82 > slacker script.
85 My concern is that if we're not careful we could end up with a count
86 that reflects devs+staff on paper and not in reality - making it VERY
87 hard to get the requisite number of sigs. The cvs commit metric is
88 straightforward to measure and therefore a useful benchmark of the
89 approximate size of the dev+staff community (as long as the ratio of
90 dev:staff stays about the same then the number of active devs can be
91 used to determine the total size regardless of what the ratio is). What
92 I wanted to avoid is some really complex formula which nobody can work
93 out in practice, or the need to have monthly purges of the rolls just in
94 case somebody wants to have a referendum.
95
96 > Although this process is somewhat lengthy and complex, we might need to
97 > have a provision for it - for extraordinary circumstances.
98 > If we try to institute it, we'll need to review a few clauses, though.
101 Couldn't agree more - this was really meant to simulate discussion
102 around some possible directions Gentoo could take than to be something
103 that could simply be enacted as-is or anything like that.
104
105 With the Council and Trustees apparently discussing how they can handle
106 their various roles in these kinds of situations, this could be good
107 food for thought. I certainly don't expect any of this to be enacted,
108 but if it influences any decision-making in a positive way then I'll be
109 happy I could add something constructive...
110 --
111 gentoo-project@l.g.o mailing list