From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 20:08:25
On 18:15 Tue 02 Aug     , Fabian Groffen wrote:
> > > Right, which means to me that if the council agrees on a certain change > > > to GLEP39, it has to organise a full developer vote with all the > > > supporting material for the change. > > > > But, you are saying that the council has to approve changes for glep > > 39 before they can come to a vote. This would mean that say a majority > > of developers doesn't like something in glep 39, but the council > > doesn't approve the change. That change will never come to a vote. In > > other words, the council has control of the rules that govern it. Is > > that what you are intending? > > I think yes, if the council regarding GLEP39 thinks A, but the dev > population B, then it is unlikely the council will vote for B. However, > the dev population should vote for other council members that do support > B for the next term in that case.
I think the whole idea is rather absurd that the council could disagree with a change to GLEP 39 and thus prevent it from going to a developer-wide vote, even though they don't think they have the authority to change the GLEP. -- Thanks, Donnie Donnie Berkholz Council Member / Sr. Developer Gentoo Linux Blog: