From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 20:08:25
1 On 18:15 Tue 02 Aug , Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > > > Right, which means to me that if the council agrees on a certain change
3 > > > to GLEP39, it has to organise a full developer vote with all the
4 > > > supporting material for the change.
5 > >
6 > > But, you are saying that the council has to approve changes for glep
7 > > 39 before they can come to a vote. This would mean that say a majority
8 > > of developers doesn't like something in glep 39, but the council
9 > > doesn't approve the change. That change will never come to a vote. In
10 > > other words, the council has control of the rules that govern it. Is
11 > > that what you are intending?
12 >
13 > I think yes, if the council regarding GLEP39 thinks A, but the dev
14 > population B, then it is unlikely the council will vote for B. However,
15 > the dev population should vote for other council members that do support
16 > B for the next term in that case.
17
18 I think the whole idea is rather absurd that the council could disagree
19 with a change to GLEP 39 and thus prevent it from going to a
20 developer-wide vote, even though they don't think they have the
21 authority to change the GLEP.
24 Thanks,
25 Donnie
26