From: "Manuel RĂ¼ger" <mrueg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2016 20:05:14
1 Dear all,
2
3 I wonder if we have some guidelines for gentoo accounts/organisations on
4 third-party platforms or if there is a need for it?
5
6 To start the discussion, here is a quick overview on handles, accounts
7 and groups on some social networks or development platforms:
8
9 * Twitter:
10 * https://twitter.com/gentoo
11 * https://twitter.com/GentooHardened
12 * https://twitter.com/Gentoo_Security
13 * Facebook:
14 * https://www.facebook.com/gentoo.org/
15 * https://www.facebook.com/groups/linuxgentoo/
16 * Google+:
17 * https://plus.google.com/communities/100146718762350759856
18 * https://plus.google.com/+Gentoo/posts
19 * Dockerhub:
20 * https://hub.docker.com/r/gentoo/
21 * Reddit:
22 * https://www.reddit.com/r/Gentoo/
23 * LinkedIn:
24 * https://www.linkedin.com/groups/36511/profile
25 * Github:
26 * https://github.com/gentoo/
27 * Steam:
28 * https://steamcommunity.com/groups/Gentoo
29 * Gitlab:
30 * https://gitlab.com/gentoo
31 * IRC:
32 * irc://irc.gentoo.org/gentoo
33
34 Some of those projects are run by developers, some by former developers,
35 others by users, who want to spread the word about Gentoo. Some are
36 covered by projects, some are mixed teams of devs and users, others are
37 not organized at all.
38
39 If those people and administrative accounts go awol, it is hard to get
40 access back for their successors. Oftenly it is not obvious who is or
41 was accountable for the handle or for actions taken on that group.
42
43 Should there be a general entity that takes care of accounts and
44 credentials in order ensure that Gentoo can grant and revoke access to
45 those representations? Does the CoC also apply on those third-party
46 platforms?
47
48 Some handles and groups call themselves "official" or "The official
49 mirror" in the case of github.
50 But what makes a representation "official"?
51 If it's run by developers? If it's covered by a entity inside gentoo
52 (like gentoo-pr or gentoo-ops project)? Or do we need different criterias?
55 Cheers,
56
57 Manuel