From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 11 November 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 06:02:08
1 On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 08:46:29PM -0300, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 12:53:48 -0600
3 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 07:15:57PM +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
6 > > > On 08-11-2012 11:45:48 -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
7 > > > > > - approve/disapprove removal of gen_usr_ldscript
8 > > > >
9 > > > > A better way to put this is disabling gen_usr_ldscript on Linux.
10 > > > > Some of the alternate platforms still use it, so I do not advocate
11 > > > > killing the function.
12 > > > > If we go forward with the plan, there is no reason the council
13 > > > > should reject disabling gen_usr_ldscript on Linux that I am aware
14 > > > > of.
15 > > > >
16 > > > > This also has to wait until the blockers are resolved on the
17 > > > > tracker.
18 > > >
19 > > > Do you suggest to drop the point from the agenda? I'd love that.
20 > >
21 > > I believe we can drop the gen_usr_ldscript question, yes, because if
22 > > everything else happens, we can just have the toolchain guys make it a
23 > > noop on Linux.
24 >
25 > Something simpler and smoother imho is to just have a profile variable
26 > that will make gen_usr_ldscript a noop, whatever CHOST or the kernel is.
27 > New profiles are added with this variable set, wide testing can be done
28 > without forcing anyone, and voila. It is also simpler for maintaining
29 > the various OSes, packages that used to install to / can just be
30 > changed to install to /usr when this variable is set.
31
32 I'm not trying to make packages install in /usr with this change.
33
34 gen_usr_ldscript was introduced to force shaired libraries that upstream
35 installs into /usr/lib to move to /lib and leave the static libraries in
36 /usr/lib.
37
38 So, gentoo linux is diverging from upstream's install locations by
39 splitting up where we install libraries. All I'm proposing is that on
40 linux we should remove that divergance and put libraries where upstream
41 installs them.
42
43 Since we can tell we are on linux by looking at the chost/ctarget
44 variables, and there is not an intention to change anything for *bsd or
45 any other O/S, I am not sure I follow the need for a profile variable.
46
47 Again, I'm not asking that the council vote on this at this vote, I am
48 just asking that they approve the two methods of supporting separate
49 /usr on linux and approve the action plan of putting out a newsitem and
50 giving a time window for everyone to migrate to either initramfs or
51 busybox[sep-usr].
52
53 If they want to discuss the gen_usr_ldscript issue I'm not opposed to
54 that, but that isn't really what I am asking for in this meeting.
55
56 William