From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [GLEP 39 overhaul] Do we want to make changes to the role of the council?
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 18:21:18
1 On 2010.04.18 12:58, Richard Freeman wrote:
2 > On 04/17/2010 07:50 PM, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
3 > > Do we want to make changes to the role of the council?
6 > Note - I mention Trustees a few times - this policy would of course
7 > not govern the trustees. I mention them only to draw contrasts and
8 > better define the role of the council, which this does define.
9 >
10 > I'm not sure this is actually a change, but I think that many would
11 > consider this a change, so perhaps it should be made explicit:
12 >
13 > There is one Gentoo. The Council heads it up. There is one Gentoo
14 > Foundation. The trustees head it up. Full stop.
15 >
16 [snip lots of good stuff]
17 > Rich
20 Rich,
21
22 Thats an interesting concept that I only partly agree with. There is
23 one Gentoo. True. The Council heads it up *techncially*. That's
24 fairly important. If the council makes a bad decision on behalf of
25 Gentoo, its the Foundation that gets sued and ultimately, the trustees
26 who go to jail as they have legal responsibility for Gentoo.
27
28 Its a little be more subtle than that as the groups represented by the
29 two leadership bodies are not the same but the basic idea is unchanged.
30
31 So far, there has been no friction between the two bodies and they
32 operate well in their apparently isolated areas. As a trustee, I have a
33 vested interest in making this arrangement work.
34
35 [Note] Its a good idea for anyone making decisions on behalf of Gentoo
36 to be a Gentoo Foundation member.
39 Regards,
40
41 Roy Bamford