From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council nominee 2018/19 questions
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 21:13:31
1 On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 4:25:07 AM EDT Michał Górny wrote:
2 > (CC-ing the remaining people to remind them to be subscribed to -project
3 > and read archives)
4 >
5 > W dniu wto, 26.06.2018 o godzinie 09∶11 +0200, użytkownik Michał Górny
6 >
7 > napisał:
8 > > To improve readability of the thread, I'll ask my question in reply to
9 > > myself ;-).
10 >
11 > Three more questions from me:
14 > 1. Do you believe that Council members should respect the requests of
15 > the developer community even if they disagree with them? Or should
16 > Council members decide based on their own judgment of arguments
17 > presented?
20 Absolutely, they should represent the developer community even if they
21 disagree with them. This is of course a very politically charged question
22 though and I am glad you asked it. If any elected member fails to represent
23 their constituents (the larger developer community) then they have either
24 failed to understand their requests, perpetrated a lie during the election
25 with falsehoods, or a numerous amount of other scenarios.
26
27 I am not running for the council in order to elevate my own agenda or advocate
28 that somehow I am superior in my own thinking, judgement, or other
29 characteristics than another developer. What I am running for is to
30 *represent* the ideas, wishes, and concerns that the larger developer
31 community has. This is of critical importance to me. While probably not
32 liked due to the corporation affiliation, Steve Jobs once said:
33
34 “it doesn’t make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire
35 smart people so they can tell us what to do.” [1]
36
37 I am not proposing that this is a company or by any means that we hire
38 individuals. What I am proposing is that the council is representing a
39 collective group of developers who are very smart and technically savvy at
40 what they do. It would be *ignorant* of me to believe that somehow i can make
41 a proper decision without seeking the advice of the very talented individuals
42 we have within Gentoo.
43
44 With those ideals in mind, it would be incomplete of me to say that
45 disagreements will not happen. Surely, I have and will continue to have
46 disagreements with other developers on a certain way in which to address
47 something. However, if a majority of developers are saying something
48 collectively and I am completely disregarding it then I need a self-checkup.
49
50 This also brings to light that civil discourse is important. As I have
51 mentioend before, we (developers) tend to be a very opinionated and charged
52 group of individuals. Civil discourse allows us to achieve a better outcome
53 and leverage the ingenuity of those around us.
54
55 > Example: there's a heated debate, and the majority of respondents
56 > request that X is implemented. However, after reading all the arguments
57 > you don't think that X is a good idea but you haven't managed to
58 > convince others. Would you vote for X (as your electorate demands)
59 > or against it (as you believe is better for the distro)?
62 > 2. Do you believe that the Council should proactively research the state
63 > of affairs and make decisions whenever they believe the direction
64 > of the distribution needs to be adjusted? Or should it be passive
65 > and avoid involvement unless developers explicitly request Council's
66 > intervention?
69 I do believe there is value in the council being proactive, but smartly
70 addressing these issues should they impact developers. This is most effective
71 especially at quelling any potential risks or interference for developers.
72 One of the goals and responsibilities of the council should be to remain
73 proactive and ensure developers can do their work unobstructed.
74
75 We often elect individuals to positions so they may take care of such tasks
76 and "let us be" to do what we find most important. Again, I cannot stress
77 enough that competent council members should know when to ensure the larger
78 community is kept abreast of impacting changes. This does *not* give the
79 council a free ticket to do what they want.
82 > 3. Do you believe the developer community should hold the power
83 > to veto or dissolve the Council at any point? Provided there's a global
84 > developer vote agreeing on that.
85
86 Absolutely. I have mentioned this on IRC before. As I have previously
87 mentioned in this email, the council *represents* the developer community. If
88 the council is failing to to meet what their constituents are most concerned
89 with then there should be a path to removal.
90
91 Of course, just like the previously mentioned disagreements, it should be done
92 smartly and no room for malice or ill intent. As you mentioned, a majority
93 vote or something similair would be a consideration.
94
95 -Aaron
96
97 [1]: http://fortune.com/2015/06/09/shahrzad-rafati-keeping-your-best-employees/