From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: Shutting down the Off the Wall (was: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items ...)
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2020 06:30:39
1 On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 10:07 PM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 7:15 PM Andreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 >
6 >> > Please respond to this message with agenda items. Do not hesitate to
7 >> > repeat your agenda item here with a pointer if you previously
8 >> > suggested one (since the last meeting).
9 >>
10 >> I would like to propose the council consider shutting down the "Off the
11 >> Wall"
12 >> (OTW) forum on forums.gentoo.org permanently and without replacement.
15 > FWIW my reply is very long but mostly comes down to what I feel is..lets
16 > try to call it 3 principles.
17 >
18 > (1) I strongly prefer folks to make a good faith effort to work with
19 > others.
20 > (2) I want to make decisions based on shared goals and policies, not
21 > people's personal preferences.
22 > (3) I want to make decisions based on data. To that end I've tried to
23 > provide some data to clarify some various points.
26 Branching this thread, because I'm interested more in the process parts.
27
28 More principles here and in general decision making. If we ditch a thing
29 because "you like it" or "you think it's toxic" it's a subjective basis for
30 decision making. It poses a few challenges.
31
32 - It's functionally easy to reverse, because subjective decisions are
33 basically capricious. We can elect a new council and they can just undo it
34 because there is no rational basis for the decision.
35 - If I'm the forums mod team and I'm told a forum needs to be deleted
36 because it violates the CoC, I have somewhat concrete action items I can
37 take to save it. If I am instead told that a forum needs to be deleted
38 because "community members find it toxic" I'm less clear on what the next
39 steps are; particularly if I think the forum is following the CoC.
40 - Similarly, It's unclear what the scope of 'toxicity' is, and so the lack
41 of options (to defend against it) leads to toxicity being used as a weapon
42 (much as people feared the CoC might be used.)
43
44 I also don't see a ton of the steps here (admittedly there are significant
45 numbers of threads stretching back years on this topic.) For instance I
46 might start by getting in sync with forums mods.
47
48 - Do they agree that comments in OTW violate the CoC? I think the answer
49 is currently unclear (but maybe it is clear, I dunno.)
50 - Do they agree that the CoC is clear (and so are comfortable enforcing
51 it?) They seem to enforce some kind of moderation in other forums, so that
52 is a good sign at least. It also means if the CoC is unclear, we can
53 discuss and amend it..but I don't think that discussion ever really took
54 place.
55 - Do they agree that if the Coc was amended or clarified, they would
56 enforce it in OTW?
57 - Do you agree that OTW could stay if the CoC was enforced satisfactorily?
58
59 I think this framing also helps us understand where we are, and where the
60 process went wrong.
61
62 If we disagree that OTW can stay if the CoC was enforced...then any further
63 conversation seems pointless.
64
65 If forum-mods refuse to enforce the CoC in OTW, then we are forced to
66 either find new mods for OTW, or close it.
67
68 If the forum-mods disagree that OTW posts violate the CoC, then we need to
69 either convince them or modify the CoC.
70
71 Many of these problems have clear next steps...but I have no idea where we
72 landed in this process at all or why it is suddenly deemed futile to stop
73 trying and go directly to "close forum."
74
75 -A
79 > Also FYI: What about the polish OTW (
80 > https://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum-f-61.html)
85 >> Rationale:
86 >>
87 >> * provides zero value to the distribution
90 > I think the OTW forum does provide value. Can you elaborate on why you
91 > think the value is 0?
92 >
93 > For example, forum-mods move offtopic threads from other forums into OTW,
94 > so it serves as a holding bin for those conversations. We could advocate
95 > moving those to the dustbin, but the dustbin is readonly, so threads may
96 > come back.
97 >
98 > In addition there are those who believe that the offtopic nature of OTW
99 > keeps the rest of the forums a nicer cleaner place, and that suppressing
100 > this content can have unintended consequences. So I request that you do
101 > consider the 2nd and 3rd order consequences of this decision.
102 >
103 > * large parts of the content are toxic and not something I (and others)
104 >> wish
105 >> Gentoo to be associated with
108 > The argument about it being toxic and you not liking it is...well...it's a
109 > bad argument! All of a sudden you can just delete projects from Gentoo
110 > because you "don't want to be associated with them because you think they
111 > are toxic?" Isn't this a bit of a slippery slope? I think you have a good
112 > argument, but you muddle it with this stuff. E.g. the following:
113 >
114 > - OTW contains some content that clearly violates the CoC
115 > - OTW is not necessary for operation of Gentoo
116 > - Moderating OTW is not currently happening to the council's
117 > satisfaction, and thus the CoC is being violated on a routine basis
118 > - It's unclear we have a plan for changing the OTW moderation, so our
119 > options are the two you proposed below.
120 >
121 > This mostly has nothing to do with 'how much you hate OTW' and more to do
122 > with actually enforcing policies you were elected to enforce and I'd (if I
123 > actually believed the 4th item was true) would clearly support this vote.
124 > But this item sounds like you are deleting OTW because you dislike it and
125 > my answer is "that is not a policy I can support." In short, I don't think
126 > this argument supports your conclusion, it erodes it because we shouldn't
127 > make policy decisions based on what you like or dislike.
130 >> * it caters to a set of users somewhat distinct from the rest of the
131 >> forums
132 >> (e.g., >5000 posts in OTW, <100 elsewhere)
135 > According to what data?
136 >
137 > Looking at the past year:
138 > select COUNT(*) as cnt, IF(phpbb_posts.forum_id=10,true, false) as forum,
139 > phpbb_users.user_id as user from phpbb_users INNER JOIN phpbb_posts ON
140 > phpbb_posts.poster_id=phpbb_users.user_id where phpbb_posts.post_time >
141 > UNIX_TIMESTAMP(DATE_SUB(CURDATE(), INTERVAL 365 DAY)) and
142 > phpbb_posts.poster_id IN (select DISTINCT(poster_id) from phpbb_posts where
143 > forum_id=10 and post_time > UNIX_TIMESTAMP(DATE_SUB(CURDATE(), INTERVAL 365
144 > DAY))) group by user, forum order by user, cnt, forum desc;
145 >
146 > Which basically says "find everyone who posted in OTW in the past year,
147 > group their posts by (COUNT, OTW, !OTW) and you will find that most of them
148 > post in other forums fairly regularly. Are there people who only post in
149 > OTW? Sure. Is it "everyone in OTW?" No.
150 >
151 > I suspect the underlying issue is that OTW is dominated by a small number
152 > of posters; I've tried to provide data to clarify the distribution of
153 > posters (forgive my bad mysql.)
154 >
155 > OTW has ~1.4 million posts total
156 > OTW has ~10500 posts in the past 365 days.
157 > The top poster has 1187 posts in OTW in the past 365 days (~1/10 posts)
158 > The top 20 posters have 9251 posts in OTW in the past 365 days (9/10 posts
159 > are these 20 people)
160 > COUNT of all posters who posted to OTW in the past 365 days is 159, which
161 > means for those 139 remaining users, they handle the remaining 1200 (10%)
162 > of posts in OTW.
163 >
164 > I avoided doing the analysis historically because there are tons of people
165 > who posted like 100k times in 2008 and don't post anymore and they mess up
166 > the numbers; so I stuck to the past 365 days of data.
167 >
168 > If you want to conclude that "OTW is mostly a place for 20 people to chat"
169 > I think the data supports this conclusion.
170 > If you want to conclude that "The 20 people who chat in OTW mostly don't
171 > chat in other forums" I think the data does not support this conclusion.
174 >> * forum moderators have made clear they are not going to fulfill their
175 >> roles
176 >> (e.g., regarding the code of conduct) in OTW, following a similar
177 >> discussion
178 >> one year ago
181 > If you want to say 'desultory has made it clear' I'd believe that
182 > argument. I'm not really convinced the other moderators necessarily agree
183 > (but more on this below.)
187 >> This leaves us with two options:
188 >>
189 >> 1) shut down OTW
190 >> or
191 >> 2) replace or supplement forum moderators with people willing to fulfill
192 >> the
193 >> moderator role in OTW