From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] The mis-concept of "slacking" in Gentoo
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 12:33:03
1 Jorge,
4 On 07/03/10 02:26, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
5 >> I wonder if we could start making a stronger distinction between these
6 >> two cases of retirement. If it isn't a throw-out I would prefer to have
7 >> that made so very clear that no one ever feels thrown out that way.
8 >> Especially that there's no guarantee to be allowed to return feels a bit
9 >> odd to me.
10 >
11 > please read the undertakers page and the resolution of the retirement
12 > bugs carefully as you seem to be confused about our policy to retired
13 > developers.
14
15 Confused about what exactly?
18 > The only case where re-admittance is subject to particular
19 > scrutiny is when a developer is retired for disciplinary reasons. As you
20 > can read in the second email template[1], we specifically inform the
21 > developer that:
22 >
23 > "If we do retire you, it's pretty easy to come back when you are ready.
24 > Just do the ebuild/end-quiz again and you're back on. You also always
25 > have the option of contributing as your schedule allows via proxy or
26 > bugzilla."
27 >
28 > We also make sure to mention in the retirement bugs that a developer can
29 > always return as seen on an example bug[2]. My apologies to Caleb to
30 > link directly to his bug, but I needed one concrete reply to show
31 > undertakers work.
32
33 Agreed, it could be worse. I would personally not trust on "you can
34 come back any time" though and looking forward to another round of
35 ebuild quizzes doesn't sound inviting to me either (not saying that
36 developers don't need to be up to date with Gentoo). I'm not sure if
37 I'm really the most or only sensitive person in Gentoo if that's coming
38 to your mind now.
39
40 Let me quote an excerpt by another developer. When I stumbled upon his
41 inactivity-based retirement bug I was asking if he really means to
42 retire. He said:
43
44 "If Gentoo likes to retire me, fine. I won't stop them.
45 I don't think, this will will help Gentoo get back on
46 track, though, if there is a way back at all."
47
48 So I don't seem to be the only one having a bad impression of our
49 current concepts of retirement. Do you read it differently?
50
51 Before I propose anything: What ways do you see to improve our concept
52 and realization of retirement?
53
54 Best,
58 Sebastian