From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] The mis-concept of "slacking" in Gentoo
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 12:33:03

On 07/03/10 02:26, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
>> I wonder if we could start making a stronger distinction between these >> two cases of retirement. If it isn't a throw-out I would prefer to have >> that made so very clear that no one ever feels thrown out that way. >> Especially that there's no guarantee to be allowed to return feels a bit >> odd to me. > > please read the undertakers page and the resolution of the retirement > bugs carefully as you seem to be confused about our policy to retired > developers.
Confused about what exactly?
> The only case where re-admittance is subject to particular > scrutiny is when a developer is retired for disciplinary reasons. As you > can read in the second email template[1], we specifically inform the > developer that: > > "If we do retire you, it's pretty easy to come back when you are ready. > Just do the ebuild/end-quiz again and you're back on. You also always > have the option of contributing as your schedule allows via proxy or > bugzilla." > > We also make sure to mention in the retirement bugs that a developer can > always return as seen on an example bug[2]. My apologies to Caleb to > link directly to his bug, but I needed one concrete reply to show > undertakers work.
Agreed, it could be worse. I would personally not trust on "you can come back any time" though and looking forward to another round of ebuild quizzes doesn't sound inviting to me either (not saying that developers don't need to be up to date with Gentoo). I'm not sure if I'm really the most or only sensitive person in Gentoo if that's coming to your mind now. Let me quote an excerpt by another developer. When I stumbled upon his inactivity-based retirement bug I was asking if he really means to retire. He said: "If Gentoo likes to retire me, fine. I won't stop them. I don't think, this will will help Gentoo get back on track, though, if there is a way back at all." So I don't seem to be the only one having a bad impression of our current concepts of retirement. Do you read it differently? Before I propose anything: What ways do you see to improve our concept and realization of retirement? Best, Sebastian