From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] glep-0076: add clarification about the sign-off requirements
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 14:47:37
1 >>>>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2021, Marek Szuba wrote:
2
3 > On 2021-07-28 12:22, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 >> This isn't about defending the copyright of the contributor (for which
5 >> a pseudonym would be fine, or at least it would be a problem of the
6 >> contributor). It is about due diligence when accepting contributions,
7 >> to make sure their origin is traceable.
8
9 > I agree with the "due diligence" bit but not with the traceability
10 > requirement. The "Certificate of Origin" section of GLEP-76 clearly
11 > states that the purpose of the sign-off (which by the way applies only
12 > contributions made via VCS commits, as the GLEP stands there are no
13 > specific mechanisms described for contributions submitted in forms
14 > other than full Git commits, e.g. patches uploaded to Bugzilla or sent
15 > by e-mail) is "to declare that the contribution can be modified and
16 > redistributed in accordance with the project's license", and nothing
17 > in GCOv1 itself appears to me to contradict that statement. Finally,
18 > between what GAFAM, NSA/GCHQ, $country government etc. have been doing
19 > on the Internet, I am rather allergic to the whole idea of
20 > facilitating the tracking of people.
21
22 Please read again what I've written. The origin of the contribution
23 should be traceable, not the contributor.
24
25 > In short, I feel that since a) the whole point here is to establish
26 > ground rules for the copyright of Gentoo contributions, b) it is
27 > pretty much entirely based on to-the-best-of-one's-knowledge
28 > statements and acting in good faith, and c) we've got neither the
29 > means nor the authority to verify personal details provided by the
30 > contributors, I strongly feel there isn't much point in disallowing
31 > pseudonymous contributions. I for one would very much rather accept a
32 > steady stream of contributions from a single anonymous entity than
33 > have them scattered across fake but ostensibly real-name contributors.
34 > And it someone contributes something potentially lifted from
35 > proprietary software or otherwise fishy? It's up to the people pushing
36 > these commits to our repos to exercise their common sense and due
37 > diligence.
38
39 We have taken the blueprint for the certificate-of-origin model from
40 Linux, and it does have a real name requirement. I'd rather not change
41 any element of it without getting legal advice first.
42
43 Ulrich