From: Aisha Tammy <gentoo.project@×××××.cc>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] 'Gentoo in 2020' summary
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 19:49:00
1 On 1/3/21 3:35 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi, everyone.
3 >
4 > I think it would be really great if we could publish a summary of
5 > (good) things that happened in Gentoo in 2020. We weren't able to
6 > maintain Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, nor Monthly. However, we might be
7 > able to manage at least a yearly Newsletter ;-).
8 >
9 > I know I'm going to regret this but I volunteer to take care of
10 > combining and publishing the data. Nevertheless, I'd really appreciate
11 > if you could reply to this mail with ideas of what you think would be
12 > worth listing. I'd also use a native English speaker for editorial
13 > help.
16 > Please reply with your ideas in the form of:
17 >
18 > [sort-key] **A short sentence summarizing the change.** 1-3 sentences
19 > of detailed explanation.
20 >
21 > I think we'll publish this on the website, so please use Markdown
22 > and possibly link to the relevant projects. The idea is that the users
23 > can skim through the changes in bold, and decide whether they want to
24 > read on.
27 > Example:
28 >
29 > [dist-kernel] **The [Distribution Kernel](https://...) project was
30 > launched to install kernels directly from ebuilds.** To lower
31 > the entry barrier and maintenance effort, the project also provides
32 > a stock configuration for popular architectures based on Fedora.
35 > I think we'll then split it into a few groups. I'm thinking of:
36 >
37 > 1. New developers (yay!).
38 > 2. Major changes (focused on things impacting end users).
39 > 3. Other changes.
42 > WDYT?
45 Getting the science overlay into a much better and almost usable
46 state. There are now enthusiastic people who are starting
47 to contribute to the overlay and adding a lot of fixes.
48 So I'd say, getting a new life for the science project is also
49 something nice that has happened :D
50
51 Special thanks to chymera and andrew for being super enthusiastic
52 in fixing the overlay :D
53
54 Cheers,
55 Aisha