From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 11:36:15
On Thu, 2019-11-28 at 15:14 +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> The "All mailing lists" page [1] lists these under "Primary mailing > lists": > > gentoo-doc For documentation contributions, suggestions, > improvements and translations > > gentoo-doc-cvs Subscribe to this list if you want to be notified > on changes regarding our documentation > > gentoo-scm Discussion about migration of primary Gentoo > repositories to alternate SCMs > > gentoo-doc seems to be the mailing list of the former GDP project. > It has seen 2 messages in 2019, and none in 2017 and 2018. > > gentoo-doc-cvs hasn't had any traffic since 2014. > > gentoo-scm has apparently fulfilled its purpose and made itself > superfluous; there hasn't been any traffic since 2015. > > I wonder if these are still needed, of if they should be frozen and > removed from the "primary" category. >
The truth is, most of those lists are entirely dead. Even many of those pertaining to existing projects are not known by the project members (e.g. when I was on BSD project, I didn't know we had a list). Other high-ranking candidates: - gentoo-bsd -- project dead, one post since 2014 - gentoo-containers -- total of 6 posts in 2014-2017 - gentoo-keys -- project practically dead, last post in 2016 - gentoo-server -- last post in 2014 - gentoo-admin -- last post in 2017 - gentoo-qa -- last post in 2015 - gentoo-java -- 2016 - gentoo-guis -- 2013 - gentoo-genkernel -- 2015 Plus, many of the primary lists have only 1-2 posts per year -- not sure if those posts wouldn't be better on some wider mailing lists. I've skipped arch-specific lists. Many of them also haven't seen any traffic since 2015-2017. I've skipped international lists. Most of them are dead as well. -- Best regards, Michał Górny