From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 11:36:15
1 On Thu, 2019-11-28 at 15:14 +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > The "All mailing lists" page [1] lists these under "Primary mailing
3 > lists":
4 >
5 > gentoo-doc For documentation contributions, suggestions,
6 > improvements and translations
7 >
8 > gentoo-doc-cvs Subscribe to this list if you want to be notified
9 > on changes regarding our documentation
10 >
11 > gentoo-scm Discussion about migration of primary Gentoo
12 > repositories to alternate SCMs
13 >
14 > gentoo-doc seems to be the mailing list of the former GDP project.
15 > It has seen 2 messages in 2019, and none in 2017 and 2018.
16 >
17 > gentoo-doc-cvs hasn't had any traffic since 2014.
18 >
19 > gentoo-scm has apparently fulfilled its purpose and made itself
20 > superfluous; there hasn't been any traffic since 2015.
21 >
22 > I wonder if these are still needed, of if they should be frozen and
23 > removed from the "primary" category.
26 The truth is, most of those lists are entirely dead. Even many of those
27 pertaining to existing projects are not known by the project members
28 (e.g. when I was on BSD project, I didn't know we had a list).
29
30 Other high-ranking candidates:
31 - gentoo-bsd -- project dead, one post since 2014
32 - gentoo-containers -- total of 6 posts in 2014-2017
33 - gentoo-keys -- project practically dead, last post in 2016
34 - gentoo-server -- last post in 2014
35 - gentoo-admin -- last post in 2017
36 - gentoo-qa -- last post in 2015
37 - gentoo-java -- 2016
38 - gentoo-guis -- 2013
39 - gentoo-genkernel -- 2015
40
41 Plus, many of the primary lists have only 1-2 posts per year -- not sure
42 if those posts wouldn't be better on some wider mailing lists.
43
44 I've skipped arch-specific lists. Many of them also haven't seen any
45 traffic since 2015-2017.
46
47 I've skipped international lists. Most of them are dead as well.
50 Best regards,
51 Michał Górny