From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] OpenPGP Authority Keys to provide validity of developer/service keys
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2019 13:38:28
1 On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 2:46 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, 2019-02-19 at 15:16 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > Also, as far as I'm aware GLEP 63 does not require an encryption key
5 > > at all, just a signing key. I'm not sure if such signing-keys will be
6 > > signed by Gentoo under this proposal. If not then there is nothing to
7 > > upload to the keyserver, and in any case it seems like the main use
8 > > case of this (sending encrypted email) would not apply. Of course it
9 > > could still be used for verifying email signatures if we sign
10 > > signing-only keys.
11 >
12 > If someone really believes it's fine to have no encryption subkey just
13 > because the GLEP doesn't require one explicitly... It either means that
14 > person is seriously lacking the technical competence, or is a horrible
15 > troll. In either case, I don't believe such a person should be a Gentoo
16 > developer.
17
18 The reason we write policies down is so that we can follow them.
19
20 I have a signing-only key, which I think was created following some
21 published procedure at the time. I see a newer wiki article on the
22 subject that talks about creating a Gentoo key and it mentions that
23 creating an encryption subkey is recommended, though it does not say
24 it is required (which is correct).
25
26 In any case, if we want everybody to have an encryption subkey, then
27 just make it part of the GLEP. No trolling is intended, at least for
28 my part.
29
30 My Gentoo commit signing key is not used for anything else. I
31 generate it to follow the requirements of the GLEP, and it is designed
32 to be throw-away so that if the GLEP changes I can just roll up a new
33 key anytime. I have no need to receive encrypted email using this
34 key, so it isn't set up. Decrypting mail sent to me would be a pain
35 since I don't use a gpg-aware MUA, so I really don't want to do
36 anything to encourage people to send me encrypted mail. However, I
37 think I have my Gentoo email address on my regular gpg key that is
38 part of the strong set and it allows encryption. It isn't in LDAP so
39 it wouldn't be signed using the proposed scheme.
40
41 BTW, I'll also note that the guidelines for creating keys requires
42 modification to gpg config vs just using command line options. That
43 seems like a rather painful way of making Gentoo-specific keys. I
44 think I ended up just setting up a container for Gentoo key generation
45 so that I could just meet whatever specific requirements are set out
46 and not interfere with the real world. Maybe one of these days I'll
47 get around to shell-scripting the entire process so that instead of
48 extending key expiry I can just revoke my old key, generate a new key,
49 put it in LDAP, add it to my regular keyring, and update make.conf.
50 On a side note I will note that gpg is a bit annoying in its
51 interactivity when it comes to key manipulation.
54 Rich