From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2012/2013 election
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 03:03:36
1 On 06/14/12 08:05, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > On 06/08/12 11:22, Ben de Groot wrote:
3 >> I would like to nominate patrick.
4 >>
5 > Thanks Ben.
6 >
7 > I accept the nomination. Manifest following Really Soon Now ;)
8 >
9 > Take care,
10 >
11 > Patrick
12 >
13 I hope everyone is voting, because otherwise you can't complain later ;)
14 Last few years turnout was consistently low, which is not really nice imo.
15
16 as posted here [1], I've written up a short Manifesto.
17
18 Here's a copy for those of you who don't want to open yet another
19 browser tab:
20
21 ===
22 The Janitor's Manifesto
23
24 Most of what I do is cleaning up. Fighting entropy. Removing bugs so we
25 can have the best distribution there is. And because there just never
26 are enough hours in a day I like to find replacements for me. Recruit
27 new people to do what I did so I can find the next problem.
28 I wont stop doing that.
29
30 Most of the things we do are outside the sphere of influence of the
31 council. We get at least 90% of our Gentoo-work done without needing
32 anyone to nudge us in the right direction. But it's the rest of our
33 troubles that needs lots of discussion and motivation to find the most
34 effective solution to our issues.
35
36 I'm an opinionated muppet. But my opinions are usually based on
37 experience. And when I see a bad idea I'm not going to tolerate it
38 because it might upset your feelings. Deal with it ;) But I guess people
39 are aware that I'm, uhm, "polarizing". And getting me into the Council
40 will make it a lot easier for me to punch stupid ideas until they go
41 away. Like, say, the zombie GLEPs 54/55 that have been summoned back for
42 about 2 years until people slowly got the idea that they won't be
43 tolerated. (Amusingly we now finally have the "EAPI at beginning of
44 file" rule that obsoletes it. So it goes.)
45
46 Independent of what you vote I'll continue doing what I do - try to
47 recruit people, do random build experiments across the tree for fun,
48 file bugs ... it won't get boring soon. So much to do ... but it'll be a
49 tiny bit easier for me if I'm councilerated.
50
51 Here's a rough list of things that would be nice to have, in
52 approximately ascending order of difficulty:
53
54 * deprecate EAPIs so that only 0 and latest are in use
55 * Signing policies - keyring, key type, etc. Make it make sense.
56 * PR: make people notice us again. GWN revival, articles for LWN, etc.
57 * Tools and automation: Make it easy to be lazy. Get more done in less
58 time
59 * Recruitment: assimilation of derived distros (pentoo, TinHat,
60 Sabayon, funtoo, calculate) and others (Slackware, OpenSUSE, FreeBSD ?)
61 * Recruitment: make it easy for people to contribute, and as soon as
62 they do don't let them leave
63 * Stop the Windowsification (offline updates?!) and MacOSification
64 (systemd, /usr move, initrd as everything, trollolololooooo)
65 * Be Awesome
66
67 ===
68