From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-12-11
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 05:10:14
1 Ühel kenal päeval, R, 09.12.2016 kell 21:54, kirjutas Aaron Bauman:
2 >
3 > They must be connected, because we cannot properly clean the tree if
4 > they are not.  Otherwise, we would break the dependency tree.  As
5 > long
6 > as the packages are marked stable, we can somewhat ensure that users
7 > will not be exposed to vulnerable code, but not entirely.   We cannot
8 > publish a GLSA if there is no stable upgrade path for the user
9 > either.
10 > Why would that be acceptable?  Given a "dozen users will know what to
11 > do," then why build tooling for such a small audience?  If they know
12 > what to do, then we should expect that they will know what to do
13 > without
14 > being a stable arch.
15 >
16 > > Or as a temporary measure propose the removal of these arches from
17 > the
18 > > list of security supported (I don't believe one of them is security
19 > > supported even now), and move back to security supported once the
20 > > process is more streamlined from the workflow efforts going into
21 > there
22 > > now.
26 > Aside from the above items, I think this proposal becomes confusing
27 > for
28 > the user.  My arch is stable... but not security supported?
29
30 Yes. See your own documentation at
31 https://www.gentoo.org/support/security/vulnerability-treatment-policy.html
32 for a list of security supported architectures and documentation on
33 stabling of not security supported architectures must not be waited for
34 a stable fix to proceed.
37 Mart