From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] towards a more distributed model
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 01:03:42
1 On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 7:23 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
4 > So the idea is the following:
5 > * stop recruiting
6 > * move clearly themed overlays/projects out of the tree which are
7 > already practically working outside of the tree (e.g. science,
8 > haskell, ...)
9 > * fix the tools (never ending git story, probably a lot of work needed
10 > on the overlay support front etc)
11 > * focus on the core of gentoo as in: provide abstraction, tools and
12 > the basic structure for people to do cool things. Right now we are
13 > just focussing on keeping the ebuild machinery going, while the rest
14 > pretty much goes downhill. Fast.
15 > * be more open, work more with the community, not just through bugzilla
16 > * review overlays, contribute to overlays
17 > * have a list of high-quality overlays, maybe with a few notes about
18 > them (is it themed? does it conflict with stuff?)
19 > * I can't hold it but say: make ebuilds suck less, so people enjoy
20 > contributing
21
22 So, most of your post I'm perfectly fine with.
23
24 I just suggest that you do it this way:
25
26 * move clearly themed overlays/projects out of the tree which are
27 already practically working outside of the tree (e.g. science,
28 haskell, ...)
29 * fix the tools (never ending git story, probably a lot of work needed
30 on the overlay support front etc)
31 * focus on the core of gentoo as in: provide abstraction, tools and
32 the basic structure for people to do cool things. Right now we are
33 just focussing on keeping the ebuild machinery going, while the rest
34 pretty much goes downhill. Fast.
35 * be more open, work more with the community, not just through bugzilla
36 * review overlays, contribute to overlays
37 * have a list of high-quality overlays, maybe with a few notes about
38 them (is it themed? does it conflict with stuff?)
39 * I can't hold it but say: make ebuilds suck less, so people enjoy
40 contributing
41
42 THEN IF EVERYTHING IS GOING GREAT
43
44 * stop recruiting
45 (or more likely, shift the recruiting emphasis)
46
47 The problem with doing it the other way is that the most likely result
48 is that Gentoo will just die without any of the rest of this stuff
49 happening. The areas you want us to focus on exclusively seem to be
50 the areas that almost none of the current devs actually want to work
51 on.
52
53 I'm not a big fan of solutions that involve abandoning something that
54 works somewhat well in favor of taking a chance on something new that
55 hasn't even been tried. There is no reason that somebody couldn't
56 build all the infrastructure for overlays, reviews, etc before we stop
57 doing things the old way. Just as most current devs won't work on all
58 the core Gentoo features you want them to work on, they won't work on
59 your new distributed stuff either, even if you forbid them from
60 working on anything else. People work on the things that interest
61 them, and if that stuff interested them, they'd already be doing it.
62
63 By all means start a project to build the "New Gentoo" and recruit
64 people to join it.
65
66 The only thing you can really do with policy is tell people NOT to do
67 something. It should really be reserved for stuff that is actively
68 harmful, and maintaining packages isn't harmful.
71 Rich