From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, zlg <zlg@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Foundation meeting agenda for April 2018
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 05:47:40
1 Dnia 9 kwietnia 2018 06:39:22 CEST, zlg <zlg@g.o> napisał(a):
2 >On Sun, Apr 08, 2018 at 11:42:01PM -0400, Virgil Dupras wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 20:29:27 -0700
4 >> zlg <zlg@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> > Why should a group -- who holds no legal, social, or practical
7 >> > responsibility -- be trusted to lead the efforts of an
8 >organization?
9 >>
10 >> Since Gentoo's CoC is strongly based on Debian, maybe we could look
11 >at Debian's constitution for clues on this and ask ourselves why it
12 >says in section 9 [1]:
13 >>
14 >> > An organisation holding assets for Debian has no authority
15 >regarding
16 >> > Debian's technical or nontechnical decisions, except that no
17 >decision
18 >> > by Debian with respect to any property held by the organisation
19 >shall
20 >> > require it to act outside its legal authority.
21 >>
22 >> Maybe that this type of separation of concerns worked well for them?
23 >Maybe it can work well for Gentoo?
24 >>
25 >> Regards,
26 >> Virgil Dupras
27 >>
28 >> [1] https://www.debian.org/devel/constitution#item-9
31 >Separating concerns may work, but not without a real, legally binding
32 >contract that both parties consent to and abide by. Otherwise, the
33 >Foundation takes on all the legal and financial risk and gets nothing
34 >for it.
35
36 And that is what it's called not-for-profit. They volunteer to help others and want nothing in return.
39 >An affirmation from the two parties is not a binding contract. I would
40 >support one if it was equitable and enforceable, i.e. not GLEP 39. If
41 >the relationship is reduced to business, then the Council should offer
42 >something in return.
46 Best regards,
47 Michał Górny (by phone)