From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Fw: Your temporary 2 week suspension on interacting on the Gentoo Github page
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 15:48:02
1 On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 11:41 AM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > Sunrise and Github PRs are not even bandaids on a gashing wound. Gentoo
5 > needs more developers not outside contributors! For every outside
6 > contributor, it requires at least 1 Gentoo dev to proxy. If not several
7 > for review, etc. Time is better spent recruiting said contributor.
10 There is actually a diversity of opinion on that particular topic.
11 Hasufell ended up leaving out of frustration because he actually
12 wanted the exact opposite - fewer developers and more outside
13 contributors. In his view the most efficient workflow would be ALL
14 commits coming in via PRs with Gentoo optimized to make this the most
15 efficient workflow.
16
17 His argument would probably be that the current reliance on developers
18 tends to result in the PR workflow being overlooked and downplayed,
19 which makes it much harder for people to make incidental
20 contributions. Rather than focusing on having more internal
21 developers he wanted there to be more of a focus on lowering barriers
22 to external contribution. His argument would probably be that there
23 are a lot of potential "drive by" contributors out there who would
24 happily donate a pull request or two without any desire to learn much
25 about the Gentoo workflow or quality standards.
26
27 I'm sure he'd articulate it better than I did.
28
29 I'm not entirely convinced that we'd be flooded with PRs if we merely
30 made the process easier, but I think it is a very legitimate approach.
31 Arch's AUR might be a model of such an approach, though I confess I
32 don't know all the details of how it works. You could have a layered
33 repository with varying levels of quality in such a model, with the
34 devs focusing on maintaining a smaller core and being curators for
35 user contributions.
36
37 Obviously any change like this would be a major one.
40 Rich