From: Kevin Carillo <Kevin.Carillo@××××××.nz>
To: "'gentoo-project@l.g.o'" <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-project] Survey about new contributor experience in Gentoo and other projects
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 00:03:27
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 My name is Kevin Carillo. I am a PhD student currently living in Wellington (New Zealand) and I am doing some research on Free/Open Source Software communities.
4
5 If you have joined the Gentoo community after January 2010 (within approximately the last 3 years), I would like to kindly request your help. I am interested in hearing from people who are either technical or non-technical contributors, and who have had either positive or negative newcomer experiences.
6
7 The purpose of the research is to work out how newcomers to a FOSS community become valued sustainable contributors. I am basically studying how the experience of a FOSS community newcomer has an influence on this person’s actions and project contributions in the community.
8
9 The survey has already gathered 250+ responses in less than 2 weeks and has been supported by the following projects: Debian, FreeBSD, GNOME, KDE, Mozilla, NetBSD, OpenSUSE, Python, Ubuntu or Wikimedia.
10
11 The survey can be found at:
12 https://limesurvey.sim.vuw.ac.nz/index.php?sid=65151&lang=en
13
14 The survey is anonymous, and the dataset will be released under a share-alike ODbL license.
15
16 I will post news about my progress with this research, and the results on my blog: http://kevincarillo.org. Don't hesitate to contact me at kevin.carillo@××××××.nz
17
18 You can also find some more information at:
19 https://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/666038-survey-how-important-is-newcomer-experience-in-free-open-source-software-projects
20 https://openhatch.org/blog/2012/a-research-project-to-understand-what-does-it-take-to-retain-newcomers/
21 and also on the planets of the listed projects...
22
23 Thanks!
26 Kevin Carillo
27 School of Information Management