From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Fwd: [gentoo-dev] rfc: formally allow qa to suspend commit rights
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 08:36:16
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On 01/19/2014 10:15 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
5 >>>>>> On Sat, 18 Jan 2014, William Hubbs wrote:
6 >
7 >> Attached you will find an updated version of this patch taking
8 >> into account the current version of glep 48.
9 >>
10 >> This is nothing new; the qa team has requested that commit
11 >> rights be suspended before. I am just proposing that we actually
12 >> add the parts of the old patch to the glep that spell out when
13 >> and how this can happen.
14 >>
15 >> Thoughts?
16 >
17 > I think that the current version is just fine. QA should take care
18 > of the tree, and any developer issues should be handled by Comrel.
19 >
20 > If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
21 >
22 > Ulrich
23 >
24 I am not sure I interpret the GLEP in the same way as you do. The glep
25 clearly states if the developer keep breaking the tree, the QA should
26 refer him to Devrel (now comrel). This somehow puts QA under Comrel
27 which is not exactly ideal. You ask a non-technical group to comment
28 on someone's ability and technical skills to be a developer. This is
29 not our field of expertise.
30 If QA refers someone to us, then QA clearly thinks the developer can't
31 make proper contributions to the portage tree and it's the QA team who
32 should decide what happens. Why do you think Comrel is more suitable
33 for the role? We only deal with inter-developer and dev-user
34 non-technical conflicts. We only had to get involved in technical
35 conflicts in the past few months because QA was not present. This
36 should never happen again.
37 The council has made a lengthy discussion here
38 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20110308.txt
39 [around 21:56:16]
40 Anyway, my opinion is that using Comrel to suspend people can only
41 work if:
42 - - Comrel trustes QA 100%. So if QA says "please revoke foobar's commit
43 access, Comrel does it without *any further* discussion. Which raises
44 the question why not give the QA lead the power to do that himself...
45 - - There is a direct developer conflict between the said developer and
46 the QA team which naturally is something we handle.
47
48 - --
49 Regards,
50 Markos Chandras