From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2017-09-10
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2017 23:06:12
On Tue, Sep 05, 2017 at 01:54:35PM -0700, Matt Turner wrote:
> For everyone's information, sparc is in its current state because > bender, our sparc development system hosted at OSUOSL died in April > and Infra has not fixed it for whatever reason.
Infra had the failed OS hard-drive replaced back in April and left it for the arch team to get reinstalled (this was left in the hands of jmorgan, who then retired, jmbsvicetto was going to do it as an arch member, but I don't think he had time to get back to it). Last I see in IRC logs, the Solaris install kept getting stuck in the ALOM console. The past practice has been that Infra takes care of the hardware & connectivity, and the arch team takes care of the OS/software. This came from arch teams not wanting infra to manage systems before, then turnover in the arch teams left the systems under-maintained. Infra doesn't even have access to all of the dev systems at OSL :-(.
> I have contacted Oracle about donating modern hardware to the Gentoo > Foundation and they expressed interest, but nothing concrete has > happened yet.
Sparc team: Why has there been no followup on bug #607622; I asked for the team to submit a proposal to BUY a used SPARC M5 (or newer)? With Oracle having basically made the entire SPARC staff redundant, I think it's unlikely they are going to donate hardware at this point. -- Robin Hugh Johnson Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Asst. Treasurer E-Mail : robbat2@g.o GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136