From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2017-09-10
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2017 23:06:12
1 On Tue, Sep 05, 2017 at 01:54:35PM -0700, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > For everyone's information, sparc is in its current state because
3 > bender, our sparc development system hosted at OSUOSL died in April
4 > and Infra has not fixed it for whatever reason.
5 Infra had the failed OS hard-drive replaced back in April and left it
6 for the arch team to get reinstalled (this was left in the hands of
7 jmorgan, who then retired, jmbsvicetto was going to do it as an arch
8 member, but I don't think he had time to get back to it). Last I see in
9 IRC logs, the Solaris install kept getting stuck in the ALOM console.
10
11 The past practice has been that Infra takes care of the hardware &
12 connectivity, and the arch team takes care of the OS/software. This came
13 from arch teams not wanting infra to manage systems before, then
14 turnover in the arch teams left the systems under-maintained. Infra
15 doesn't even have access to all of the dev systems at OSL :-(.
16
17 > I have contacted Oracle about donating modern hardware to the Gentoo
18 > Foundation and they expressed interest, but nothing concrete has
19 > happened yet.
20 Sparc team: Why has there been no followup on bug #607622; I asked for
21 the team to submit a proposal to BUY a used SPARC M5 (or newer)?
22
23 With Oracle having basically made the entire SPARC staff redundant, I
24 think it's unlikely they are going to donate hardware at this point.
27 Robin Hugh Johnson
28 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Asst. Treasurer
29 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
30 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
31 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136