From: Rich Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-04-09
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 15:25:05
1 On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 > We already "encourage" using the newest EAPI, see 20110308 meeting.
3 > (Though I fail to find this recommendation in the devmanual, shouldn't
4 > it be there?)
5 >
6 > Should we have a stricter rule? Would such a rule help significantly
7 > reducing the number of EAPI 0 ebuilds?
8
9 Anticipating the likely objection (which I'm sure the Council is
10 already well aware of), perhaps a more constructive way to look at
11 this is whether there is a way to better promote adoption of slot
12 operators wherever it is applicable? That would be something that
13 would create real tangible improvement to the distro that most devs
14 would really get behind (IMHO).
15
16 I'm fine with even turning that into a quality rule - deps should
17 support subslots where appropriate, and packages should use slot
18 operators where appropriate. Obviously there is a transition
19 involved.
20
21 Rich