From: Sarah White <kuzetsa@××××××××××.ovh>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 02:04:38
1 On 11/24/18 8:37 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 8:09 PM Sarah White <kuzetsa@××××××××××.ovh> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 11/24/18 6:11 PM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> I don't see anything in the GPL-2 that would prevent us from removing
7 >>> redundant copyright notices.
8 >>>
9 >>
10 >> The better question - why should things be copyrighted,
11 >> and then made available under a FOSS/Libre license, and
12 >> why is this different than public domain without any
13 >> copyright protection of any kind?
16 {...}
19 >> I believe if sony is committing to release something under
20 >> a FOSS/Libre/copyleft-type license, they should be able
21 >> to thow their own legal team behind it.
22 >
23 > And they can with the GLEP as it exists now. They receive no legal
24 > benefits at all by being named in the copyright notice, and lose no
25 > benefits by not being named in the notice, as long as the notice is
26 > valid.
29 Perhaps just a misunderstanding then.
30
31 So if it isn't meant to say that gentoo will be looking
32 after the legal aspects of a FOSS/Libre-copyleft licensed
33 package or document or tool, then what's the purpose to
34 put gentoo's name on it?
35
36 There's some innuendo and/or implication that copyright
37 holders who have their own name listed in a copyright
38 notice are intending to do something other than participate
39 in FOSS/Libre work, or perhaps may not truly wish to
40 contribute in good faith.
41
42 I really hope that's a misunderstanding, and discussing
43 further can clarify. Does gentoo have a legitimate reason
44 to substitute a gentoo copyright notice in place of an
45 otherwise valid notice?
46
47 Is there an intent to create a sort of gatekeeper role
48 within the gentoo organization to request documentation
49 if a contributor uses a non-gentoo copyright notice?
50
51 -- kuza