From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] With regard to udev stabilization
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 03:02:06
1 Dear Everyone,
2
3 It is no secret that many of us are unhappy with the direction that udev
4 has taken under the leadership of the systemd developers. That includes
5 Linus Torvalds, who is 'leery of the fact that the udev maintenance
6 seems to have gone into some "crazy mode" where they have made changes
7 that were known to be problematic, and are pure and utter stupidity.'
8
9 https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/2/505
10
11 After speaking with several other Gentoo developers that share Linus'
12 concerns, I have decided to form a team to fork udev. Our plan is to
13 eliminate the separate /usr requirement from our fork, among other
14 things. We will announce the project later this week.
15
16 I understand that the council is scheduled to vote on a topic related to
17 udev stabilization. Would it be possible to delay the vote for another
18 month so that we have time to get organized?
19
20 Yours truly,
21 Richard Yao