From: Rich Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 11 November 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 00:02:08
1 Summarizing some irc discussion:
2
3 On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 1:53 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 > I believe we can drop the gen_usr_ldscript question, yes, because if
5 > everything else happens, we can just have the toolchain guys make it a
6 > noop on Linux.
7
8 There is disagreement over whether this is a good idea. Nobody
9 objects to dropping gen_usr_ldscript from discussion if it is left
10 alone, but it probably deserves some kind of consideration if we want
11 to change it (maybe not a council vote, but at least discussion).
12
13 I think that the direction Gentoo wants to move in has no clear
14 consensus. I see several options:
15 1. All boot-time files are in / (the old position, which we've agreed
16 to move away from).
17 2. Files can be in / or /usr at maintainer discretion (align with
18 upstream, etc).
19 3. All files should be in /usr - eventually /bin, /lib, and so on
20 should be empty (where Fedora is going).
21
22 Dropping support for separate /usr without one of the solutions
23 already discussed is making the move from #1 to #2. I see modifying
24 gen_usr_ldscript as making the step from #2 to #3.
25
26 Personally I don't have a problem with the /usr move, but that is a
27 big step, and I don't want to see lots of files moving to /usr without
28 maintainer involvement unless we're REALLY sure we want that. Also,
29 before that function is modified to be a no-op on linux we should do
30 some serious testing - a lot of very important packages are going to
31 be affected.
32
33 And of course this only affects libraries - movement of anything else
34 will require ebuild changes.
37 > I would be ok with going a little longer than 30 days, but 6 months or
38 > a year might be a bit extreme.
39
40 That was my thought as well - maybe 60 or 90 days is a better option.
41 Even 30 days though is a fair bit of time to migrate to initramfs. We
42 can always send out a news item that this is coming now if anybody
43 wants to mess with ~arch packages on a test machine before things are
44 stabilized.
45
46 Rich