From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2020 / 2021 election - Nominations Now Open
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 19:52:42
1 On 2020-06-23 22:30, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2020-06-23 at 19:58 +0200, Patrick Lauer wrote:
3 >> On 2020-06-23 19:34, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >>>> and we
5 >>>> might even reduce the amount of active EAPIs even more so that there's
6 >>>> fewer surprises
7 >>>
8 >>> Are you going to achieve that by committing more ebuilds using
9 >>> deprecated EAPIs?
10 >>>
11 >> Ah damn it must feel good to yell at people.
12 >
13 > I'm not yelling.
16 >> I know what you mean, you know what you mean, everyone else is most
17 >> likely confused.
20 > I'm sorry that it wasn't clear, though I find your response really hard
21 > to comprehend. I'm going to clarify what I meant.
22 >
23 > You're running for a political position.
24 I'm trying to motivate people to vote.
25 The risk of getting elected is acceptable and should be enough of an
26 incentive to increase voter participation.
27
28 > As part of your agenda you're
29 > indicating you'd like to see fewer EAPIs around. As you probably know,
30 > there's quite a few developers that are actively working towards
31 > removing old EAPIs, and I'm one of them. I just happen to know that
32 > you've just committed an EAPI=5 ebuild last week, for no good reason.
33 >
34 And you knowingly broke tests on a package for no reason.
35
36 So we can now spend hours talking past each others using colourful
37 metaphors for our naughty bits, but that doesn't solve any problem.
38
39 > So to me it seems that your actions contradict your promises. In other
40 > words, in my opinion you're straight lying in your manifesto. I really
41 > dislike this kind of attitude, so I consider it appropriate to point it
42 > out publicly.You really like pointing at me in public.
43
44 And your phrasing is dramatic - yes there's a minor dissonance between
45 my statements and one recent action. Calling that lying is a bit optimistic.
46
47 Anyway - I didn't have the motivation to spend even more time on
48 something that wasn't broken before, so I didn't test if the ebuild
49 works properly as EAPI7 (one of the reasons I want less EAPIs, there's
50 just enough small differences to make this a nontrivial exercise)
51
52 If other people budget my time they can't complain about the quality ...
55 > If you don't want your actions criticized publicly, I would suggest you
56 > don't run for public positions. Council positions imply responsibility
57 > in front of all developers. Including these you don't like. I also
58 > feel like it also implies being able to behave professionally in face of
59 > criticism but this doesn't seem to be a case for a long time now.
60 >
61 One of the reasons I avoid the mailinglists is the guaranteed poo
62 flinging - you assume that people are like you, just slightly different,
63 so your conclusion is that everyone is acting maliciously.
64
65 Would be a bit more fun if you could consider the idea that people are
66 not like you.
67
68 Anyways,
69 may your day be as nice as you are,