From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 20:05:08
1 On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 15:09:30 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Roy Bamford
5 > <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > Its not possible to fix social problems with technology.
8 > > Gentoo society is a microcosm of the world.
11 > While not all social problems can be solved with technology, some
12 > certainly can be. I don't think this particular solution is the right
13 > one, but that doesn't mean that solutions don't exist.
14
15 Technology has created many more social problems than it will ever
16 solve. The alone together concept never existed till technology created
17 that. People in my LUG bragged about how technology liberated Egypt. It
18 is a total mess as other countries.
19
20 Does anyone have more time with all this technology doing things faster
21 than every before? We seem to have less and less....
22
23 For all the upsides we see. There are countless more downsides. We can
24 all connect. So can evil doers with your children etc. In ways unlike
25 ever before.
26
27 Anyone who thinks tech can solve social problems likely lacks social
28 skills to begin with. Thus is looking for solutions.
29
30 > Our mailing lists would be unusable without spam filtering. My life
31 > would be less sane if I couldn't mute threads in my MUA. Perhaps
32 > other lives would be more sane if I muted more threads. :)
33
34 That sounds more like something dictatorships do to control things to
35 their preferences and liking. There is NO place for such in an
36 international open source project. Democracy's are hectic, chaotic, etc.
37
38 Perhaps more people need to learn self control. Hit the delete button
39 on emails they are not interested in. Or create filters. Or simply
40 ignore.
41
42 These problems are YOURS not others. If a post distracts you. Then
43 YOU allowed that. If you read a post. YOU chose to do that. If
44 something is bothering you. YOU choose to let it bother you. Adults are
45 responsible for themselves. Stop blaming others!
46
47 Its funny people want to use tech against others. But they do not want
48 to use that tech directly for their own purposes based on their own
49 preferences. Filter or delete button.... Both much easier than reading
50 or replying....
51
52 Take me, you can easily create a filter to delete any email I compose.
53 Or delete any thread. Or just ignore. That is YOUR choice. You need not
54 impose your point of view on a larger community. That is a vocal
55 minority controlling the majority.
56
57 It surely will not attract others. It says these guys are controlling
58 jerks. Why would I want to be work with them? Thus people do not.
59
60 > Moderation can also be fairly effective in maintaining order in
61 > communications.
62 >
63 > The key is just to keep it light.
64
65 You all are creating more noise in this very thread. The conversation on
66 -dev ended before this thread even started. That goes to show the
67 problem. People get involved when they need not. Just like in 08.
68 Rather than ignore or let things go. Lets make it into a bigger issue...
69
70 It also shows people cannot control themselves. Thus they want to rely
71 on others technical abilities to keep things to their liking and their
72 personal preference. There is NO place for such in a FOSS community.
73
74 This is exactly why people are not coming.
77 William L. Thomson Jr.