From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Resignation
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 08:34:15
1 Effective today, December 16th, 2017 at 0800 UTC, I am resigning from my
2 position as Gentoo Developer and Foundation Trustee. I joined Gentoo to
3 gain experience and give back to the libre software community. In some
4 ways, maybe I succeeded a little. I learned from this experience that
5 I don't need to be a member of a distribution to contribute or advance
6 my skills, and people will often act against their stated goals if it
7 improves their appearance. It taught me how *not* to organize a libre
8 software project. The few great experiences I had here at Gentoo sadly
9 do not outweigh the negative experiences, and I'm no longer interested
10 in beating my head against that brick wall.
11
12 Here's a list of the "nothing" I've done in my Gentoo involvement:
13
14 As proxy maintainer, I took on these packages to sort of "prove my
15 worth":
16
17 net-p2p/i2p
18 net-p2p/imule
19 x11-wm/fluxbox
20
21 I knew nothing about Java -- and it probably showed -- but I was willing
22 to learn what was necessary to get the ebuilds in better shape. This
23 never changed throughout the 2.5 years I was a developer.
24
25 pchrist, heroxbd, jlec, and zlogene mentored me and got me up to speed.
26 I am grateful for their level of care and attention, and the effort they
27 put in alongside me. My recruitment process was protracted due to real
28 life, but we eventually pulled through.
29
30 After I became a developer, maffblaster welcomed me to the wiki, and
31 we even had a conversation over Mumble later on. I later took on more
32 packages, enthusiastic to give back to a distro that I liked:
33
34 app-cdr/bashburn
35 dev-util/astyle
36 media-sound/apulse
37 media-video/smtube
38 net-misc/toxic
39 sys-apps/udevil
40 www-servers/lighttpd
41 x11-misc/alock
42 x11-misc/ktsuss
43 x11-misc/spacefm
44
45 I dipped my hands into any bug I thought I could reasonably solve,
46 and sought advice when I didn't know the correct way to do something.
47 Sometimes this worked; sometimes I'd realize I didn't have the skill
48 necessary, and left it to the more experienced people.
49
50 Sometimes, mgorny would show up and tell me that my solution sucked or
51 was "braindead", or that such-and-such solution was "common sense",
52 with no explanation as to *why* it was "common sense". (this was on
53 IRC, though [1] outlines where jcallen had to clarify what I hope
54 mgorny intended to communicate) He didn't ever tell me what the correct
55 solution was to any given problem that I might've messed up. To this
56 end, his criticism served to do nothing but demotivate me. At a later
57 point, when monsieurp and I were dealing with file collisions, he
58 threatened to have us go through the developer quizzes again. [2] None
59 of his criticism was helpful or encouraging. The key to good criticism
60 is to be *constructive*, acknowledging the mistakes *AND* the successes.
61 Without both, one's communication is morally destructive.
62
63 [1]: https://bugs.gentoo.org/547524
64 [2]: https://bugs.gentoo.org/603526#c6
65
66 (careful, the comments might be deleted in response to this e-mail to
67 save face)
68
69 Later, I was nominated as Trustee by klondike. At first, I didn't think
70 I could do the job. Maybe I should've listened to that feeling. But I
71 felt it would be rude if I didn't accept a nomination. Nothing ventured,
72 nothing gained, right? I didn't expect to be voted for. I had a feeling
73 I would be laughed at and would walk away having spent the time on a
74 manifesto for nothing. Reality is often stranger than fiction, and I
75 found myself in a Trustee role. Given that he was only one rank below me
76 in the election, I feel that klondike may have been a better fit for the
77 role. I regret accepting the nomination.
78
79 robbat2 mentored me on Treasurer duties, when he had the spare time. I
80 felt bad that he was spread so thin between his other Gentoo duties,
81 mentoring me, and being a parent. Nevertheless, I pushed forward, trying
82 to fill the role as best I knew how to. Most of the time, I was afraid
83 to touch anything because I understood that money was involved. I didn't
84 want to make a mistake and cost us money. Because of that, I only ever
85 logged into one account (Paypal), and only to gather the metadata we
86 needed to update some records.
87
88 mgorny again showed up; this time accusing me of being a "do-nothing
89 politician". Thankfully, I kept an activity log of everything I did for
90 the Foundation, and `git log --committer=zlg@g.o` will show you
91 everything I did in the tree. Yes, I made mistakes. Some of them rookie
92 ones. But given that I wasn't being paid for my work, and time spent
93 on Gentoo meant time I couldn't spend on other things (like personal
94 projects), I needed to make a value decision: was I willing to continue
95 donating labor to an organization that didn't notice my work unless
96 I screwed up? If I was truly as ineffectual as those who claimed it
97 (rich0), what was the point of continuing? The cricitism I received
98 during my time as a developer was demotivating and didn't acknowledge
99 any of the *correct* things I did; how exactly was I going to improve?
100
101 These questions led me to my answer: leave the organization. There is no
102 point in continuing to try when I will only be berated for screwing up.
103 My failures will be paraded to all while my victories go un-noticed and
104 unappreciated. This is a losing proposition, leading nowhere. As such, I
105 am terminating my involvement with Gentoo Linux and its Foundation.
106
107 I'd like to thank everyone who helped me become a developer and trustee,
108 and the two positive code reviews I received during my time as a
109 developer, by Soap and floppym. They helped me understand not only
110 *where* I messed up, but what the solution should've looked like and
111 *why* their solutions were better. I don't think either of them really
112 like me, but credit given where it's due.
113
114 A developer will not progress or become more skilled unless they
115 understand those key things (why, how, where). Drive-by insults and
116 egotism will drive people away. Gentoo won't improve in this regard
117 unless it cares enough to value what people contribute and acknowledge
118 when people give constructive reviews. It takes effort from both "sides"
119 of a mentorship in order to get any appreciable progress.
120
121 When I reached out to members of the Gentoo community, I learned that
122 there were a considerable number of users (of all skill levels) who,
123 for whatever reason, did not want to go through the process of becoming
124 a developer. This told me that there was an imbalance in the value
125 proposition; that is, the effort spent to become a developer *appears*
126 to be more work than what you get by making it through the process. I
127 think this is the core of Gentoo's struggles. Gentoo will continue to
128 suffer from manpower problems [3] until it figures out how to improve
129 that value proposition. If higher quality recruits are desired, then
130 a structured curriculum -- with smaller, focused tests along the way
131 -- may be the best way to bring a recruit from "wet behind the ears"
132 to "ready to commit on the toolchain". This process is important to
133 Gentoo's longevity, and unless its leadership takes this social problem
134 seriously, they will find themselves with more work and fewer people.
135
136 [3]: Before any glib old-timer pipes up, recall that the Council (your
137 leadership) just recently considered a mailing list split and discussed
138 package maintenance (i.e. manpower) problems in the same meeting; I hope
139 the irony is not lost on others.
140
141 I expect to be laughed or jeered at by mgorny and other senior
142 developers, but now it's Gentoo's problem, not mine. I've done what I
143 thought I could do, and can walk away knowing that I tried. Nobody can
144 reasonably ask for more than that.
145
146 So long, and thanks for all the fish.
147
148 (on the plus side, you can now type 'zl' and Tab in IRC to get zlogene
149 instead of me :P)
150
151 My Foundation activity follows.
152
153 FOUNDATION ACTIVITY TRACKER
154 FOR zlg@g.o
155
156 2017-10-08
157 Worked with robbat2 to catch up the MoneyMarket account to match the missing
158 statements from 2013-12 to 2015-12.
159
160 2017-10-22
161 Edited the Foundation:Activity Tracker page with the new due date of the
162 Treasurer's Annual Report with NM: 2018-11-15
163
164 2017-11-19
165 robbat2 re-encrypted the banking passwords file, granting access to online
166 accounts for me to begin converting Paypal transaction data and catch up on
167 other financial activity.
168
169 Paypal transaction information from 20170701-20171031 was imported and
170 converted using `make all` in /paypal_raw/; commit pending
171
172 Corrected Ruby call in paypal_raw/Makefile to ruby22
173
174 Added a note in paypal_raw/README about requiring dev-ruby/tzinfo
175
176 The meeting was postponed until Nov 26th, due to Meeting Chair's last-minute
177 obligations and a shortage of trustees.
178 * E-mail announcement was sent to -nfp@l.g.o
179 * Wiki page for meeting updated
180 * #gentoo-trustees /topic updated
181
182 Convened with robbat2 on correcting the rubycsv code to include Subject: and
183 Note: fields for matching accounts. He later fixed this on his own.
184
185 2017-11-26
186 bug 605336; updated metadata for FOSDEM 2017 LiveDVD production reimbursement
187
188 bug 591704; updated metadata for Perl Foundation donation in our loss of
189 avenj
190
191 wrote script to update foundation member OpenPGP key IDs to fingerprints,
192 per ulm's request:
193 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-nfp/message/f06a3b742e06ddfcb541a822e0210e05
194 sent to trustees@g.o for review
195 used one-liner from robbat2 to fetch fingerprints from LDAP to x-ref
196
197 bug 638036; created bug for shadowz.in request for logo/trademark licensing
198 discussion pending
199
200 2017-11-27 to 2017-12-04
201 worked on two more scripts to migrate and upgrade foundation list to include
202 full fingerprints (and multiple keys)
203 only script remaining is wikitable creator; a user indicated it would
204 be trivial to write, using awk.
205
206 EOF
207 --
208 Daniel Campbell
209 OpenPGP Fingerprint: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6
210 Found on hkp://keys.gnupg.net and other keyservers