From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 13:59:44
1 On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 7:52 AM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
2 > On 13/11/16 12:33, Luca Barbato wrote:
3 >> On 13/10/2016 01:30, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
4 >>> TL;DR: move comrel, infra, PR to Foundation. Have strict(er)
5 >>> application of policies to them in line with their powers.
6 >> The foundation was made only to collect and redistribute money. In order
7 >> to do that it was made sort of copyright collector as well (but that was
8 >> actively blocked by the fact the EU law prevents that).
9 >>
10 >> In short and sweet summary:
11 >>
12 >> - The Council was made to be the team leading Gentoo, we have elections
13 >> for that reason.
14 >> - Recruitment should get new wonderful people as Developers, either by
15 >> inviting them or by vetting them.
16 >> - Comrel is offloading from the council the management of conflicts
17 >> between developers. Incidentally it had to manage also troublemakers,
18 >> creeps, and other horrible people that the recruitment process failed to
19 >> recognize as such (luckily happened really few times).
20 >> - Q/A is offloading from the council the management of day-by-day
21 >> technical issues and possibly prevent people not so skilled from destroy
22 >> systems.
23 >> - Foundation should just care of money on behalf of the council and not
24 >> interfere with the community.
25 >>
26 >> Giving the Foundation more power than act as financial operations is a
27 >> quite bad idea to me.
28 >>
29 > EWW .. forgive my boldness, but that is the Exact Opposite of what needs
30 > to happen. What you are, in effect, proposing, is that for all intents
31 > and purposes, you can merge the Function of the foundation INTO council.
32 > Why keep them separate if the legal body is the Council and it is
33 > adequately ratified by its developers, but yet not the general community
34 > and membership at large.
35
36 Why would we want people who don't make any significant contributions
37 to the organization to be voting on how it ought to operate?
38
39 Those who do make significant contributions ought to sign up to be
40 developers/staff/whatever (you don't need to write ebuilds to be a
41 developer), and then they get to vote for Council.
42
43 Even if we were to put the Foundation on top I don't think that people
44 who aren't recognized as developers/staff/whatever (don't want to make
45 this about the label) should be voting for the board.
46
47 I get that letting everybody on the planet vote for how we do things
48 sounds more open, but the reality is that we need to maintain an
49 environment where people want to contribute to Gentoo. If Gentoo
50 doesn't work for the people who contribute the most, then there isn't
51 going to be much left for the people who just want to use it.
52
53 > This only goes to reinforce the status quo that
54 > the council is a self-serving self-reinforcing body.... A single-headed
55 > monster if you will.
56
57 The council serves the distro, and is elected by the developer
58 community. I don't get how it could possibly be considered
59 self-reinforcing. You could argue that the developer community as a
60 whole might be, but they're also the ones doing all the work to make
61 things happen (and people doing a lot of work who aren't in the
62 developer community should be added as long as they abide by the
63 standards).
64
65 Ultimately I think we need to remember why we're here.
66
67 We're not here to run a Foundation.
68
69 We're not here to buy and run servers.
70
71 We're not even here to run an HR department or be on Council.
72
73 We're here to create a Linux distribution. Ultimately all of these
74 things need to serve that larger goal.
75
76 So, I think in some sense it could make sense to just have one overall
77 body that looks after the needs of the distro, which is elected by the
78 contributors to the distro, and then everything else falls into
79 projects/etc around this. We have a project for QA, we have a project
80 for Infra, and we could have a project for the US Foundation, or a
81 project to manage a relationship with an umbrella organization like
82 SPI if we don't want the hassle of running a Foundation ourselves
83 (which seems to be more of the trend lately, as Debian and Arch now
84 use SPI instead of running their own Foundation). What you call the
85 one overall body seems secondary to its purpose of keeping all the
86 pieces working together smoothly while being accountable to the
87 contributors.
90 Rich