From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] changing the default of ACCEPT_LICENSE in portage
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 09:34:01
1 Am Donnerstag 25 Juli 2013, 20:31:19 schrieb hasufell:
2 > Gentoo has a social contract [1] which makes a lot of noise about free
3 > software.
4 > However our default settings allow to use almost any kind of non-free
5 > license such as "all-rights-reserved".
6 >
7 > While I see nothing wrong with gentoo providing proprietary stuff (and
8 > I have created a lot of such games ebuilds), I think according to our
9 > philsophy and social contract we should make people aware of free
10 > software and because of that also change the default to:
11 >
12 > ACCEPT_LICENSE="@FREE"
13 >
14 > This is only about the _default_.
15
16 The only effect of this new _default_ will be that people
17 1) start complaining
18 2) read up somewhere in the forums
19 3) set ACCEPT_LICENSE="*" without further thinking.
20
21 This is NOT what we want.
22
23 In my opinion we should set the pre-defined license filter as tolerant as
24 possible. Anyone who wants to narrow it down should do it himself.
28 Andreas K. Huettel
29 Gentoo Linux developer
30 kde, sci, arm, tex, printing