From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2014 / 2015 election
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 19:10:39
1 On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 2:30 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > So you are basically saying a conflict of interest can happen and when
3 > it does, everyone will actually realize it and also act appropriately.
6 Well, if people don't do that, then you're up the creek no matter what
7 system of governance you come up with.
8
9 SOMEBODY has to make the final decision, and they can always have a
10 conflict of interest.
11
12 Unless half the council is in on the original offense, it really only
13 makes a difference if it is a close call. So, avoid doing things that
14 would tick off half the council and you should be fine. :)
15
16 This is no different than a majority of trustees being able to sell
17 the Foundation to your least favorite IT vendor. If you're going to
18 vote a bunch of untrustworthy individuals into office, then you might
19 not like the result.
20
21 I don't see a practical alternative. The kinds of skills that you
22 need to be a decent Trustee, Council member, or Comrel member overlap
23 significantly. We aren't exactly a huge organization. So, we either
24 have to accept overlap, or put people into these roles that we might
25 otherwise not want to. There is also QA and Infra to consider - do we
26 not allow anybody to be on more than one of these teams?
27
28 Ridh