From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: mrueg@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-07-29
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 18:07:06
1 On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 07:47:02PM +0200, Manuel Rüger wrote:
2 > On 14.07.2018 19:33, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 06:21:52PM +0200, Manuel Rüger wrote:
4 > >> As the council represents the Gentoo Developer community, the council
5 > >> members should behave as role models for this community.
6 > >>
7 > >> I would like each council member to explicitly state their agreement to
8 > >> our Code of Conduct.
9 > >> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Council/Code_of_conduct
10 > >
11 > > I'm not sure this is an agenda item since there is really nothing
12 > > for us to do for it in a meeting; however, I will share my thoughts.
13 > >
14 > > Of course, I agree to follow the Code of Conduct.
15 > >
16 > > However,because of the following passage in the code of conduct, we all
17 > > automatically agree to follow it.
18 > >
19 > > | By joining and/or participating in the Gentoo community, you are stating
20 > > | that you accept and agree to adhere to the rules listed below, even if
21 > > | you do not explicitly state so.
22 > >
23 > > William
26 > In my opinion there is still a difference between implicit and explicit
27 > agreement to a CoC, as explicit agreeement makes knowledge about the CoC
28 > undeniable.
29
30 It doesn't really matter whether you know what is in the CoC or not, you can
31 still be sanctioned for not following it. In other words, ignorance of
32 the CoC is not a defense.
33
34 William