From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Council meeting 2015-04-14: call for agenda items
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 22:23:27
1 On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
2 > For instance, in this topic I haven't seen any comment from
3 > alpha/ia64/sparc arch teams...
4
5 I haven't commented because I don't honestly believe people care.
6
7 I'm really disappointed that the discussion is entirely about creating
8 keyword-dropping policies and no one is asking whether there are
9 things we can do to make keyword/stable requests a more streamlined
10 process. But, that kind of thing seems to be par for the course on
11 this list.
12
13 Keywording and stabilizing is a really boring process. It's really
14 hard for me to get excited about doing it, and when I do I'm quickly
15 demotivated by having the latency between starting and actually
16 testing the package.
17
18 I've wanted for a long time a system that can help reduce the time I
19 have to sit in front of a computer waiting for things to finish
20 compiling before I can test them. Trawl bugzilla, grab package lists,
21 go build binpkgs. Just let me grab binpkgs and actually test the
22 software...
23
24 As it is today, it's far too much of a manual process with a lot of
25 tedious (and automatable) steps. I'm really surprised Gentoo has been
26 as successful as it has without some kind of system like this.