From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o, gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Foundation Trustees 202106 Election Results
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 20:58:41
1 On Fri, 2021-08-20 at 19:51 +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > Ladies and Gentlemen
3 >
4 > Here are your verified election results.
5 >
6 > For the three open seats for the term 2021-2023, two seats will be
7 > filled by robbat2 (Robin Johnson) and antarus (Alec Warner). There is a
8 > tie for the 3rd seat between alicef (Alice Ferrazzi) and
9 > _reopen_nominations.
10 > Per lack of an established rule for this event and given section 5.7 of
11 > the Foundation ByLaws[1] we defer to the Board of Trustees how to
12 > proceed regarding the 3rd seat.
13 >
14 > [1] - https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Bylaws#Section_5.7._Vacancies
15
16 When the changes to the election process have been accepted in 2019,
17 the election dates were adjusted to include an optional second round
18 before the AGM [2]. The dates for 2020 [3] and 2021 [4] elections did
19 not account for the second round. This looks a clear oversight.
20
21 A possible tie between _reopen_nominations and a candidate is definitely
22 something I didn't think of while proposing these changes (and I don't
23 think it was considered either when designing the Council elections
24 either).
25
26 I can think of two possible interpretations:
27
28 1. If we consider a candidate as a 'yes' vote and _reopen_nominations as
29 a 'no' vote, then a tie between 'yes' and 'no' causes the motion not to
30 pass -- so _reopen_nominations effectively wins.
31
32 2. If we consider a tie as a reason to vote again -- then the result is
33 roughly equivalent to reopening nominations.
34
35 Of course all of this should have happened before the AGM but now that
36 the milk is spilled...
37
38 [2] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-nfp/message/73cf853e77c545ee886cbba009d93f6b
39 [3] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-nfp/message/808b87cd4c0b0f3656886d1e76d37b22