From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GLEP 76: Copyright Policy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 17:07:35
1 On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 12:25 PM NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 06/10/2018 04:34 PM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 >
5 > > Copyright Attribution
6 > > ---------------------
7 > >
8 > > All files included in Gentoo projects must contain an appropriate
9 > > copyright notice, as defined by this policy.
10 > >
11 > > A proper copyright notice appears near the top of the file, and reads::
12 > >
13 > > Copyright YEARS LARGEST-CONTRIBUTOR [OTHER-CONTRIBUTORS] and others
14 > >
15 > > The largest contributor is whatever entity owns copyright to some
16 > > portion of the largest number of lines in the file. Additional
17 > > contributors can be listed, but this is neither required nor
18 > > recommended. The "and others" text may be omitted if the explicitly
19 > > listed contributors hold copyright to the entire file.
20 >
21 > Why is this not recommended?
22
23 So, I came up with this to try to keep it as simple as possible.
24
25 My concern was basically analogous to the BSD advertising clause
26 problem. If you start accumulating authors on this line then it gets
27 unwieldy. How do you draw the line?
28
29 I suggested drawing the line at whoever touched the most lines, mainly
30 because it is simple.
31
32 IMO ANY solution is going to be imperfect, so simple trumps all.
33
34 But, it certainly isn't the only possible solution to this problem.
35
36 Keep in mind that notice is not the same as
37 authorship/copyright/credit/etc. The "and others" is important.
38 Being #2 doesn't in any way diminish your rights under the law. The
39 law simply requires a notice, so we need to come up with one. It
40 shouldn't be viewed as "this is the only important contributor to this
41 file." If we could not have any notice at all legally then that would
42 be simpler still. Git already tracks who did what, and should always
43 be the place to go for this info.
44
45 > If developer A writes 51% of the lines of an ebuild and developer B
46 > writes 49%, should B not be listed?
47
48 Under the policy, no.
49
50 > What if all the metadata lines defining variables consists of 75% of the
51 > file and was written by A, but the core functionality of the ebuild (25%
52 > by size) was written by B?
53
54 Under the policy, "A and others" is listed.
55
56 > If A writes an ebuild, and B replaces a majority (>50%) of the ebuild,
57 > should B remove A from attribution?
58
59 Under the policy, yes, assuming this is noticed. The policy does not
60 require checking on every commit, but only when the issue is
61 escalated. That is actually a change from the wording which tried to
62 keep things more strict.
63
64 > I think that specifying that substantial (though not necessarily
65 > specific in defining this) contributions/contributors should included in
66 > the copyright attribution and that substantial contribution attribution
67 > *is* recommended.
68
69 So, the issue then becomes whether we have to define "substantial."
70 The goal is to have something actionable. Anybody can run git blame
71 easily enough. Figuring out what is "substantial" is harder.
72
73 But, the other change to the policy was to relax this and not worry
74 about keeping it as up to date. So, in that spirit maybe we can be
75 more vague and let it be dealt with via escalation.
76
77 That seems to be the approach the Linux Foundation takes. As far as I
78 can tell they have no policy regarding copyright notice - and the
79 contents of their files are all over the place. Presumably committers
80 make their own judgement calls, and if somebody has a problem with it
81 they point it out to the Linux Foundation.
82
83 That said, the fact that this is basically happened with the eudev
84 copyright notices didn't prevent it from turning into a bit of a
85 tempest in a teapot with all kinds of accusations being tossed around.
86 It was dealt with upon escalation, but people tend to go crazy over
87 this stuff so some kind of policy that an ordinary dev can understand
88 wouldn't hurt, so that the issue is prevented. That was the goal of
89 the policy.
90
91 A big goal here was to keep it simple and understandable but not too
92 vague. It shouldn't need constant appeals to Trustees/Council/whoever
93 to apply to individual situations.
94
95 To the extent that the notice doesn't truly give credit to
96 contributors I'd call it a feature and not a bug. I'd rather have the
97 notices viewed as useless for that purpose, because then people won't
98 constantly squabble about how does/doesn't get included on them. The
99 ideal choices would be listing everybody or nobody, but everybody is
100 cumbersome, and nobody doesn't seem to be legally valid. So, listing
101 one by name preserves the nonsensical nature of the notice while still
102 meeting the legal requirement. Or something like that...
105 Rich