From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2016 00:54:08
1 On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 7:47 PM, Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 8:23 AM, Rich Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
4 > wrote:
5 >>
6 >> I think another issue to keep in mind that people who are dismissed
7 >> from Gentoo have essentially zero recourse
8 >
9 > Should it be this way? Or are you only talking about legal issues?
10
11 To clarify, I was talking purely about legal issues, with the caveats
12 in the remainder of that sentence.
13
14 Beyond appealing to Council, if somebody changes their ways they can
15 always re-apply to join. Obviously these applications get scrutiny.
16
17 >> However, Gentoo can be sued for letting somebody use
18 >> our communications media to perform tortious activities.
19 >
20 > I think this would at a minimum require infra to be negligent in some way
21 > first. Hosts and sites are generally not resonsible for the actions of
22 > their users, especially when those users are trespassers or hackers.
23
24 You need to exercise reasonable care. If we ban somebody, and they
25 show up under an alias and they get off some tortious comments before
26 they're banned again, I doubt any court would hold Gentoo responsible.
27 On the other hand if we know somebody is a problem and do nothing
28 about it, that is a different situation, and that was the point I was
29 making.
30
31 And beyond legal responsibility it is horrible for our reputation.
34 Rich