From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2020 / 2021 election - Nominations Now Open
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 17:17:18
1 On 2020-06-17 22:39, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > On 2020-06-17 10:57, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 >> I nominate (apologies in advance for any duplicates):
4 > [...]
5 >> patrick
6 >
7 > I accept the nomination
10 So people may or may not want or want not a manifesto.
11
12 Instead I offer you a "20 years of Gentoo" Codeswarm video:
13
14 http://gentooexperimental.org/~patrick/codeswarm2020.mp4
15 (x265, 1080p, CC BY-NC 4.0 )
16
17 Looking at that I'd say Gentoo, as a whole, is doing pretty ok.
18
19 Council hasn't had much to decide on the last months, and I think that's
20 a good thing.
21 Personally I've not had that much time, between personal issues and work
22 it's been unexpectedly exciting. And the time I have for gentoo things
23 mostly gets budgeted by others.
24 (I have a faint hope that this may change, but no guarantees ...)
25
26 I don't appreciate the deletionists who want to rip out everything
27 that's older than 6 weeks and not on Github, but that's their thing and
28 who am I to judge. It it were up to me we would spend more time on
29 making Gentoo boring so that we have time for the really interesting
30 things instead of trying to rewrite everything and have constant churn
31 and maximal entropy.
32
33 We haven't had a new EAPI in a while. I hope it stays that way, and we
34 might even reduce the amount of active EAPIs even more so that there's
35 fewer surprises (pop quiz: what's the difference between EAPI 3 and EAPI
36 4?).
37 Boring is good. Complexity is the enemy.
38
39 I have lots of opinions, so if you don't vote you increase the risk that
40 I get voted into the council again and you'll have to tolerate said
41 opinions. Every voter can do their contribution to influence the result,
42 so do the patriotic thing and vote.
45 Be excellent to each other,
46
47 Patrick