From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Unilaterally blocking people on Github without any proper procedures or authority
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 14:49:57
1 This is really amazing and a new low for Gentoo all around. Many likely
2 have no knowledge. This side steps Comrel, and any other Gentoo
3 entities. There are no open bugs, there is no record or any mention....
4
5 Yesterday I noticed my history of past commits to Gentoo disappeared
6 from my Github account. I went to watch/star/fork Gentoo repos and I
7 could not. Having contacted Github over such. It turns out I was
8 blocked from Gentoo organization on Github.
9
10 That is entirely unacceptable, and without any reason. At best it is
11 over comments on this PR. Which I have mentioned several times on this
12 mailing list and -dev. The submitter was VERY upset to see it closed.
13 https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/1721#issuecomment-299942259
14
15 My comments there HARDLY justify any action be taken....
16
17 There is another open for over a year I just discussed with
18 fordfrog/Miroslav Šulc. Which he was requesting my help to test
19 address. Why it has not been committed to tree. I used to maintain
20 Tomcat. Other than me, Miroslav/fordfrog is the only other with such
21 experience to be able to test out such changes, etc.
22 https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/1358
23
24 I can only assume this was mgorny/Michał Górny. He recently showed up
25 in #gentoo-java IRC asking about those PRs. I responded to him, and he
26 ignored me, no surprise. Thus I am not to shocked at the blocking on
27 Github.
28
29 Though this goes entirely against any Gentoo policy on taking any such
30 action against a developer. Much less a member of the community. Even
31 after stuff in December. I was not blocked, banned, indefinitely from
32 any Gentoo resource. At it seems I am now from Github.
33
34 Even worse, a repo Miroslav Šulc/fordfrog created on a project I had
35 direct commit access to I am now blocked from. I know neither Miroslav
36 Šulc/fordfrog or Benda XU/heroxbd would want me restricted from
37 that respository.
38 https://github.com/gentoo/java-ebuilder
39
40 This is really unacceptable and needs to be reversed immediately.
41 Anyone including myself that has been blocked from Gentoo github should
42 have that block removed.
43
44 Someone needs to start paying attention to the people who are managing
45 Gentoo on Github. They are clearly doing what ever they want. Not
46 following any Gentoo policies. Not filing any bugs, or any records of
47 their actions. This is not how organizations of any form should operate.
48
49 This could never happen within Gentoo. This is abuse of a 3rd party
50 resource a limited few have administrative control over, without
51 oversight.
54 William L. Thomson Jr.