From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Repo mirror & CI: official statement wrt GitHub
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 01:05:48
1 On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 19:45:18 -0400
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 5:58 PM, Andreas K. Huettel
5 > <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Am Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2018, 16:14:48 CEST schrieb Alec Warner:
8 > >
9 > > > They seem to offer docker packages, so we could just nab those
10 > > > and run
11 > > them
12 > > > in containers on hosts. I'm not too keen on doing a bunch of
13 > > > (really
14 > > what I
15 > > > consider busywork) to try to 'get it working on Gentoo.' We
16 > > > already use upstream provided containers and I expect that to
17 > > > continue as upstreams continue to abandon the 'release packages'
18 > > > model and move to 'release
19 > > sets
20 > > > of containers' model.
21 > > >
22 > > > -A
23 > >
24 > > Apart from all the implications that have already been brought up,
25 > > that's
26 > >
27 > > 1) a public relations nightmare waiting to happen
28 > > (future discussion: "Err, wait, central Gentoo infrastructure runs
29 > > on an Ubuntu-based container? Well, then we switch directly to
30 > > Ubuntu.")
31 >
32 > Its unclear what the upstream containers might be based on. CoreOS or
33 > Alpine Linux are both common bases (and CoreOS is ironically a
34 > Gentoo-powered[1] distro using our tree and tools.) I'm not sure
35 > people would switch because of that.
39 Except that Red-Hat just bought CoreOS and are intending to replace the
40 Gentoo base with Red-Hat. (Reported by one of my co-workers that just
41 attended the big docker conference and at least one of the talks where
42 that was discussed)
48 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>