From: "Tony \\\"Chainsaw\\\" Vroon" <chainsaw@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2012/2013 election
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 00:03:35
1 On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 22:05 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > chainsaw
3
4 Thank you Ulrich. I accept.
5
6 My manifest for this election follows:
7
8 I am a firm believer in the UNIX philosophy of multiple interlocking
9 small components. Each only performs a very specific, small task and
10 does that job very well. This is well suited to an open source
11 environment, where a maintainer has "scratched an itch", found his/her
12 niche and takes pride in the smooth running of their individual gear[1]
13 in the bigger machine.
14 In my day job, I depend on these UNIX machines and have trained people
15 in carefully replacing these gears as the machines run. It has become
16 apparent that this way of life is under threat, and I would like to
17 protect it.
18
19 There is a push to pull all of the gears out of my UNIX machine and
20 replace it with a harmonic drive[2]. I am told that it has less play and
21 higher torque, and with only one component it is much easier to maintain
22 if I only forget all I know about UNIX machines, throw all our custom
23 gear sets away and retrain my staff in strain wave gearing instead.
24 I am sorry to have to point out that we have invested significant effort
25 in getting our gear shufflers to the level they are today, and that we
26 depend on our lovingly hand-crafted gear ratios to get us the
27 performance that we require. Reducing us down to exactly three gears[3]
28 may make a harmonic drive conversion a lot easier, but our ideal speed
29 happens to be reached on four right now!
30
31 [1] program
32 [2] systemd
33 [3] /usr merge
34
35 Regards,
36 Tony "Chainsaw" Vroon
37
38 P.S. You are most welcome to join me on IRC or e-mail me privately about
39 my strong yet controversial opinions. However, I hope that you recognise
40 yourself in the story above. Whether you make gears, (re)place them or
41 simply depend on the output of a UNIX machine...