From: "Tony \\\"Chainsaw\\\" Vroon" <chainsaw@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2012/2013 election
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 00:03:35
On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 22:05 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> chainsaw
Thank you Ulrich. I accept. My manifest for this election follows: I am a firm believer in the UNIX philosophy of multiple interlocking small components. Each only performs a very specific, small task and does that job very well. This is well suited to an open source environment, where a maintainer has "scratched an itch", found his/her niche and takes pride in the smooth running of their individual gear[1] in the bigger machine. In my day job, I depend on these UNIX machines and have trained people in carefully replacing these gears as the machines run. It has become apparent that this way of life is under threat, and I would like to protect it. There is a push to pull all of the gears out of my UNIX machine and replace it with a harmonic drive[2]. I am told that it has less play and higher torque, and with only one component it is much easier to maintain if I only forget all I know about UNIX machines, throw all our custom gear sets away and retrain my staff in strain wave gearing instead. I am sorry to have to point out that we have invested significant effort in getting our gear shufflers to the level they are today, and that we depend on our lovingly hand-crafted gear ratios to get us the performance that we require. Reducing us down to exactly three gears[3] may make a harmonic drive conversion a lot easier, but our ideal speed happens to be reached on four right now! [1] program [2] systemd [3] /usr merge Regards, Tony "Chainsaw" Vroon P.S. You are most welcome to join me on IRC or e-mail me privately about my strong yet controversial opinions. However, I hope that you recognise yourself in the story above. Whether you make gears, (re)place them or simply depend on the output of a UNIX machine...

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2012/2013 election David Abbott <dabbott@g.o>