From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>, ulm@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 15:35:43
1 On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 07:49:37AM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018, Patrick McLean wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:24:08 +0100
5 > > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > >> To say it again, ebuilds have a copyright notice for exactly two
8 > >> reasons:
9 > >>
10 > >> - to protect us against the "innocent infringement" defense under
11 > >> U.S. law, and
12 > >>
13 > >> - because the GPL-2 requires in section 1 to "appropriately publish
14 > >> on each copy an appropriate copyright notice".
15 > >>
16 > >> For both of these, it is irrelevant what the precise contents of the
17 > >> notice is. If you made a significant contribution to the file, then
18 > >> you can claim copyright for it, even if there is no copyright notice
19 > >> at all, of if you aren't mentioned in it.
20 > >>
21 > >> IANAL, but I think the case for being listed there explicitly is very
22 > >> weak.
23 >
24 > > Is accepting contributions form entities that require it a good
25 > > argument? Is this really worth losing valuable contributions over?
26 >
27 > *Why* would they require it? Is there any legal reason that I've
28 > missed? In what way would an explicit copyright line help in a legal
29 > dispute?
30
31 Here is what the copyright office has to say about copyright notices:
32
33 https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ03.pdf
34
35 William