From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Formally have Council oversee the Foundation 2.0
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 19:20:43
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 1:25 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 10:19 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> How would somebody sue "Gentoo" when Gentoo is just a trademark of
5 >>> SPI? There would be no legal entity called Gentoo to sue. That's the
6 >>> whole point. If somebody wants to sue SPI then that becomes SPI's
7 >>> problem, though obviously as a project we would cooperate with them to
8 >>> minimize this risk.
9 >> A suit against "Gentoo" aka:
10 >> https://www.gentoo.org/inside-gentoo/developers/
11 >>
12 >> "A business partnership, a nonprofit organization, or a group of citizens
13 >> can be parties in a lawsuit if the court accepts that group as representing
14 >> 1 side of the dispute."
15 >>
16 > Sure, but in this case the first two do not exist, so Gentoo could not
17 > be named in a lawsuit. Certainly any group of Gentoo
18 > developers/contributors could be named in a lawsuit, and so could
19 > their next door neighbors. And that is no different from today as
20 > you've pointed out.
21 >
22 > My point is that today if somebody messes up they are personally
23 > liable and the Gentoo Foundation could also be liable. If we moved to
24 > the SPI model then the individuals would still be personally liable,
25 > and SPI could also be liable. And I assume that SPI is better at
26 > managing its own liability.
30 Since SPI does not control Gentoo or any other project, how could they
31 be held liable in a lawsuit? SPI isn't going to "manage" the devs or
32 any other remnants of Gentoo. That is left to the Gentoo group to
33 manage. That is who would be sued.
34
35 Now if the IRS were to come after what is left of Gentoo, SPI would
36 likely step in since it is in control of the money and assets However,
37 if the IRS comes after Gentoo for things before SPI took control, then
38 the IRS would likely come after both, Gentoo people for the past
39 behavior and SPI since it has the money and that is usually what the IRS
40 is going after. Of course, the IRS is a different beast.
41
42 Dale
43