From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-10-14
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2018 09:25:03
1 Ühel kenal päeval, L, 13.10.2018 kell 11:15, kirjutas Ulrich Mueller:
2 > > > > > > On Sat, 13 Oct 2018, desultory wrote:
3 > >
4 > > On 10/11/18 13:35, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
5 > > > > > > > > On Thu, 11 Oct 2018, Alec Warner wrote:
6 > > > > My reading of ulm's proposal is that it is allowed.
7 > > > > Ebuilds "shall" use the simple attribution, not that they
8 > > > > "must" use it.
9 > > > > To me that implies the simple attribution should be the
10 > > > > default, but the
11 > > > > complex attribution is acceptable in the ::gentoo repo.
12 > > > > Maybe I'm misunderstanding the proposal?
13 > > > No, you've understood it exactly how it was meant.
14 > > Especially given the audience, "should" would convey that intent
15 > > more
16 > > clearly than "shall". [1]
17 > > [1] https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt
18 > > 3. SHOULD This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that
19 > > there
20 > > may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore a
21 > > particular item, but the full implications must be understood
22 > > and
23 > > carefully weighed before choosing a different course.
24 >
25 > LGTM, especially the part that the implications must be carefully
26 > weighed before ignoring the policy.
27
28 If this is something to vote on in the meeting, lets have something we
29 can actually vote on before the meeting, please.
30 Can you come up with a wording of all this then that we can confidently
31 vote on, worded suitable for such, with the intentions clear in regards
32 to MUST/SHALL/SHOULD/MAY and whatnot? Maybe without referencing an
33 outside RFC to define what English words mean (or worse - using its
34 definitions without referencing it).
37 Mart