From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 00:40:37
1 On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 08:17:43PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Bottom line is that I'd especially encourage anybody who is in a role
3 > like an officer/trustee to just be careful about the language we use.
4 > Sometimes I've seen in private conversation statements like "we're
5 > technically violating the law" and such - I understand the spirit (we
6 > DO want to follow the law), but statements like this said with the
7 > best of intentions can end up being used against us. We can just as
8 > seriously consider the matter while saying things like "it is possible
9 > that a court might think that this is in violation of the law" and
10 > being clear that our speculation/opinion is just that.
11 Thanks for the reminder.
12
13 As one of the people on the licenses@ alias that often gives advice and
14 helps make decisions, I try to always include IANAL, but this should go
15 doubly for any postings we make to the list.
16
17 Of course, if somebody on the list DOES happen to be a lawyer, then
18 they don't need to use IANAL, and we have had developers in the past
19 that were actually lawyers.
20
21 If there are more lawyers lurking on this list, and are interested in
22 licensing issues [1], I encourage you to join the list and help us work
23 on issues as they are raised.
24
25 [1] I do fully understand that you might want to get away from "work",
26 and just be coding instead of doing anything like your dayjob.
29 Robin Hugh Johnson
30 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead
31 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
32 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85