From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Andrew Ammerlaan <andrewammerlaan@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] glep-0076: add clarification about the sign-off requirements
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 11:22:27
1 >>>>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2021, Andrew Ammerlaan wrote:
2
3 > 4 applies, but here's the catch. It only applies if the contributor
4 > has also included a sign-off.
5
6 Exactly.
7
8 > So if we allow contributions without a sign-off from the contributor
9 > the sign-off from the developer is meaningless since neither 1, 2, 3,
10 > or 4 applies to the commit.
11
12 Typically, the committer would certify the contribution under 2. It's
13 the same situation when adding a patch taken from somewhere else, you
14 must certify it's free software "to the best of [your] knowledge".
15
16 So if there's even the slightest chance that the contribution could be
17 taken from proprietary software, you are well-advised _not_ to accept it
18 unless it carries a sign-off of its contributor.
19
20 > Which brings me to my second point. As far as I know, pseudonyms can
21 > in fact hold (and therefore transfer and sign-off) copyright. There
22 > are many examples of books and other texts written by authors using a
23 > different name then their 'legal name'. Such texts are not treated
24 > (fundamentally) different under copyright law simply because the
25 > author chose to use a pseudonym. Now a book is not an ebuild, but why
26 > wouldn't the same apply here?
27
28 This isn't about defending the copyright of the contributor (for which
29 a pseudonym would be fine, or at least it would be a problem of the
30 contributor). It is about due diligence when accepting contributions,
31 to make sure their origin is traceable.
32
33 Ulrich