From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>, gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Gentoo Foundation - Treasurer Response!
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 12:27:59
1 On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 7:27 AM Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 7/3/19 12:47 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > You also need to consider the tax savings themselves if the umbrella
5 > > is 501c3. That is also a percentage of the net (the CPA costs being
6 > > deductible most likely).
7 >
8 > It depends on the type of income, iirc e.g GSoC wouldn't be tax exempt
9 > in either case. Same for royalties from sale of merchandise
10
11 Certainly some forms of income aren't tax-exempt, and we should
12 definitely get a professional opinion on this. However, have you seen
13 anything to suggest GSoC specifically is taxable?
14
15 I have been skimming the IRS materials, and in their training on the
16 subject they specifically bring up the example of a once-a-year food
17 stand that generates income at a conference, and that it wouldn't be
18 taxable because it isn't "regular" income, being only once a year and
19 doesn't really compete with a normal business that would be open every
20 day [1]. However, I don't profess to be an expert on IRS tax law.
21
22 It is probably a good idea to consider that some income will be
23 taxable. Of course, it is still only net profits that are taxable, so
24 any GSoC money spent on GSoC itself wouldn't be net-taxable even if
25 the overall income would be (at least, that is my understanding).
26
27 And of course if we were using an umbrella org the org itself would
28 have its compliance staff make these determinations and have rules
29 around this stuff. We wouldn't need to develop our own expertise and
30 chances are their staff could also make recommendations on how to
31 structure activities to minimize tax burden. If they're charging
32 based on net income then it would be in their interests to minimize
33 our taxes anyway.
37 > > You also need to consider services that we would receive that we
38 > > currently lack. After all, Gentoo hasn't spent a dime on CPAs for a
39 > > long time, but that was hardly a true savings.
40 >
41 > Also needs to account for potentially higher future earnings, we haven't
42 > actually been doing active fundraising.
43
44 I have mixed feelings on this. Numbers-wise you're right - if some
45 professional umbrella org gets a shared of anything donated to
46 "Gentoo" they're going to be out there advocating for people to donate
47 to "Gentoo." As a result "Gentoo" will probably end up with a lot
48 more money. On the surface this seems like a good thing. On the
49 other hand, I do get concerned about what effect this could have on
50 the community and atmosphere of the project.
51
52 This is part of why I advocate for trying to reduce our dependency on
53 money and servers and so on. These things all potentially come with
54 strings attached, and I'd prefer to be more dependent on the goodwill
55 of our code contributors than the goodwill of our
56 financial/sponsorship contributors. I feel like a lot of bigger FOSS
57 projects eventually reach a point where the people in charge end up
58 with the opposite concerns - where they prefer all the core stuff to
59 be paid so that they don't have to worry as much about the rank and
60 file deciding they don't like the people in charge.
61
62 As much as we have disagreements around here, I think that those in
63 charge are very much community-oriented in their roots. Some might
64 disagree, but I'd caution that to the degree that some disagree, the
65 professional managers that come with big budgets are going to be FAR
66 less to your liking.
67
68 1 - https://www.stayexempt.irs.gov/home/existing-organizations/unrelated-business-income
72 Rich