From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GURU v2, now with reviewed layer
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 21:44:00
1 On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 13:06:28 -0500 Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 > On 2019-02-05 11:41 a.m., Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 [...]
4 > > How is it different from the sunrise overlay? We had very similar
5 > > unreviewed/reviewed split model there. And you buried that project
6 > > yourself ~2.5 years ago because it was stinking already.
7 > >
8 > > Furthermore such project will distort already thin resources from
9 > > proxy maint and GH PR reviewers.
10 > >
11 > > So I see no practical point in resurrecting sunrise under another
12 > > name and a slightly different policy. So please NO.
13 > >
14 > > Best regards,
15 > > Andrew Savchenko
18 > The primary difference I see between this new proposal and Sunrise is
19 > that it isn't going to hinge on what ended up being a single gentoo
20 > developer handling all of the publishing reviews, and there won't be a
21 > review-before-initial-commit either.
22 >
23 > I'm not sure if it will pull away from proxy-maint or GH PR's either,
24 > but rather re-focus those two projects to allowing user-contributions
25 > to existing gentoo-repo packages while this new project will be for
26 > new packages. If anything I think it may reduce the effort necessary
27 > to keep up with those projects since new packages won't need to be
28 > maintained there.*
29 >
30 > Whether or not these differences are sufficient to empower us to make
31 > this repo, I don't know -- Sunrise was started back when overlays were
32 > few and not nearly as simple to create. The idea of having everyone
33 > commit to one place rather than each having their own could be better
34 > in theory, but if users prefer to just run their own like they do now
35 > then this project's going to be a bit of a waste...
36
37 Frankly, that's what I'm expecting based on sunrise experience.
38
39 > * we could very well have an issue, just like we did with Sunrise,
40 > where a dev moving the package to gentoo repo and 'taking over' from
41 > the users that previously 'owned' it in GURU ends up causing some
42 > conflict. I don't recall if policy was ever sorted on that since iirc
43 > we can have the same issue with proxy-maint too?
44
45 No, we don't have similar problem with proxy-maint. Proxied
46 maintainers are considered on par with regular developers when we
47 are talking about touching other people stuff: that is, a developer
48 can't touch package owned by proxied maintainer if he's not his
49 proxy or if there is no prior agreement with proxied maintainer, or
50 if a timeout was not reached for proxied maintainer reply.
51
52 Another great difference is that both GH PR's and PM are improving
53 the official Gentoo repository while proposed GURU repo will be a
54 separate project.
55
56 And since it is a separate project, any developer (or proxy
57 maintainer) will be free to add whatever they want from GURU to the
58 main Gentoo tree.
59
60 Best regards,
61 Andrew Savchenko