From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2021-07-11 - call for agenda items
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 21:19:37
1 On Mon, Jul 05, 2021 at 12:17:35PM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Mon, 05 Jul 2021, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
5 <snip>
6
7 > In the past, the council had also banned EAPIs. However, that didn't
8 > make much of a practical difference because an EAPI cannot be added
9 > to eapis-banned in layout.conf unless all ebuilds are gone. Maybe we
10 > should have a rule like the following instead:
11 > "A deprecated EAPI is considered banned when the Gentoo repository
12 > no longer contains any ebuilds using it."
13
14 Having the council vote to officially ban an EAPI does have
15 practicality. The work done by those porting ebuilds, removing old
16 packages, etc is hindered when other begin committing ebuilds deprecated
17 but not banned.
18
19 I would ask that the council continue the official motions and votes to
20 ban EAPI's prior to being "enforced" by tooling. This assists those doing
21 the work and the QA team to stop people from committing.
22
23 While it is an administrative control it does help, but a technical
24 solution would be preferred long term.
25
26 -Aaron