From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Should DevRel members be in Council?
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 20:04:20
On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 2:28 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
> It definitely does create a conflict of interest. >
What kind of conflict are we actually talking about? It isn't a conflict of interest to hold an opinion. It is only a conflict if the personal interests of a council member aren't aligned with the interests of the developer community as a whole. If a Council member has been investigating a situation closely, then my feeling is that they're in a BETTER position to evaluate the situation and not a worse one. The DevRel process is not an adversarial one. If we as a community can't trust somebody's ability to be professional, then the last thing we should do is elect them to the Council. Keep in mind that Developers only can lose their status if they really tick a lot of people off. Council members lose their status by default every 12 months. Is there a problem here that actually needs to be solved? Can somebody point to a recent situation where a conflict of interest between a Council member and a developer led to a decision that a majority of the community would consider inappropriate?

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-project] Should DevRel members be in Council? Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>