From: "Tony \\\"Chainsaw\\\" Vroon" <chainsaw@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2012-04-03
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:02:55
1 On 20/03/12 06:48, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > In two weeks from now, the council will meet again. This is the time
3 > to raise and prepare items that the council should put on the agenda
4 > to discuss or vote on.
5
6 Newer udev (180+) is attempting to force /usr to be mounted *very* early
7 in the boot sequence. No other software has this requirement, and it is
8 going to break LVM2 users that have a separate /usr. Our official
9 documentation recommends this, even today:
10 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/lvm2.xml
11
12 Now that it is unmasked and unleashed on ~arch users, this might result
13 in an attempt to stable it. I would like for the council to decide on
14 whether a separate /usr is still a supported configuration.
15 If it is, newer udev can not be stabled and alternatives should be
16 investigated. If it isn't, a lot of documentation will have to be
17 updated. (And an alternative should likely still be provided)
18
19 Regards,
20 Tony V.