From: Jack Morgan <jmorgan@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-09-10
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 15:22:48
1 On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 12:15:14PM +0100, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On 27 August 2013 10:54, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 > > In two weeks from now, the council will meet again. This is the time
4 > > to raise and prepare items that the council should put on the agenda
5 > > to discuss or vote on.
6 > >
7 > > Please respond to this message with agenda items. Do not hesitate to
8 > > repeat your agenda item here with a pointer if you previously
9 > > suggested one (since the last meeting).
10 > >
11 > > The agenda for the next meeting will be sent out on Tuesday 2013-09-03.
12 > >
13 > > Please respond to the gentoo-project list, if possible.
14 > >
15 > > Ulrich
16 >
17 > Hi,
18 >
19 > I'd like to ask the council to vote on the following topics regarding the
20 > 'minor arches' based on the feedback I received on the respective
21 > thread in the gentoo-dev mailing list
22 >
23 > http://marc.info/?l=gentoo-dev&m=137708312817671&w=1
24 >
25 > Drop the following arches to ~arch
26 >
27 > - s390
28 > - sh
29 > - ia64
30 > - alpha
31 > - m68k
32 > - sparc
33 > -(maybe ppc and ppc64?)
34
35 I work on ia64, sparc, ppc and ppc64. I'm completely against this
36 proposal in its current form.
39 > The feedback on the original question was mostly positive.
40 > Most people agree that the long stabilization queues for these
41 > architectures create problems for maintainers wishing to drop old versions.
42
43 Only a hand full of people responded to the email thread (possitively or
44 negatively) so I don't think that your statement above is correct about
45 "most people agree" since we have somewhere over a hundred developers?
46
47 Please provide data to support your claim here about "problems for
48 maintainers". I've not seen this. What I have seen is someone posting,
49 "hey we need more people to help out with ppc" and several people
50 helped out. In addition, we have ARCH specific hardware[1] that any
51 developer can gain access to to do ARCH testing. I beleive this is what
52 ago does.
53
54 As I mentioned in the -dev ML, I don't think this is the right approach
55 to your concern. There should be a clear definition of what is expected
56 from an arch that is offically supported by Gentoo Linux. By offically
57 supportd I mean ARCH/stable keyworded. If an arch fails to meet those
58 requirements, then "demote" it to ~arch only status. This should be a
59 GLEP. Otherwise, you are asking others to base their decision on someones
60 perception.
61
62 > The council should also take into consideration that the stabilization process
63 > for these arches is mostly a one-man job (Agostino).
64
65 This is not true. Ago does do a majority share true but he is not the only
66 one. I do like how he does arch testing. I think we should strive to
67 replicate his process thus removing this concern.
68
69 > However, some people raised the point that we should provide stable stages
70 > for these architectures and drop everything else to ~arch.
71
72 What for? So we can give the false precetion that Gentoo Linux supports
73 a specific ARCH?
74
75 > So if the Council votes 'NO' to the original question, vote on whether
76 > only @system should be stable for these architectures.
77 >
78 > The Council should also provide a list of the arches that wishes to
79 > "mark" as ~arch (even if they only do stable @system)
80 > so maintainers are aware of the situation
81
82 This is a confusing. What is the real problem you are trying to solve
83 here? Stable @system but not having to worry about keywording anything
84 else.. like a desktop (gnome, KDE)?
87 If keywording an ARCH is a real concern, then Gentoo Linux should have
88 a long hard look as what it wants to support as a developer community. I
89 want to challange the council to take this as an opportunity to define
90 this. If developer resources are limited, then Gentoo Linux can't
91 support everything it has in the portage tree.
94 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/infrastructure/dev-machines.xml
97 Jack Morgan
98 Pub 4096R/761D8E0A 2010-09-13 Jack Morgan <jmorgan@g.o>>
99 Fingerprint = DD42 EA48 D701 D520 C2CD 55BE BF53 C69B 761D 8E0A